griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
I have recently decided to use my SSD for gaming and my HDD for storage, I was wondering if I would need 2 OS disks to do this. Do I even need a OS for my HDD to transport files from my SSD to my HDD and open the HDD to view files? I also plan on using Windows 8 when it comes out. It's my 1st time building a PC, and I really don't want to screw this up! (No, I don't want to RAID either)

Also, does anyone know if Windows 8 will allow me to even go through folders? I'd like to be able to mod game files and stuff! (not cheat wise, but as cool skins and map editing and stuff like that).

This PC will probably be fully built by December. I just would like to know now so when the time comes I can just jump in.

RealBeast

Titan
Nope, just put the OS and all your key games on the SSD and everything else on the HDD. One OS will do just fine and is far easier to deal with. You should be able to do anything through files in 8 that you do in 7, although specific programs may need updates to play nicely with 8.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Get an SSD, they are awesome! And your old hard drive (slave) is pretty much like a usb, but faster, and you can do anything with it. I also suggest putting steam on your HDD and get at least a 120gb SSD (I would say a Mushkin Chronos, or Samsung 840 [not the pro version] once they come out)

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Hey I need help moving all my files! I installed an SSD and hard drive but I installed everything on my computer onto the SSD and now it's out of space (I built a PC and put the OS, driver updates, games, downloads, etc.) what folders do I have to keep on the SSD? I just want the OS, games, and whatever else is essential.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
drivers, anti virus, Microsoft office, work related stuff and non steam games like GW2(on your SSD). steam will take up to much room, once you get 70 games in your library(like me) a 500gb HDD with a 120gb SSD is pushing it.

gravytrain

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

So which folders exactly are drivers in? I ran into trouble earlier when I was trying to move stuff out of my AppData folder onto my hard drive.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished

Please start a new thread for this. Even though your problem is similar, it's not the same one and it's not nice to hijack someone else's thread.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

I'm fine with it! It gives me info also :D And thank you sir for respecting my by posting this! Not many people do that these days! lol!

RealBeast

Titan
For future changes, in other words if you want all future programs to go to another drive, just change the registry keys for the destinations. If you use x64 it is two keys, the 32 bit version is just a single key change.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
Change the keys: ProgramFilesDir and ProgramFilesDir x86 to where you want instead of the default C drive location

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

THANK YOU! That's really good to know!