Sign in with
Your question

Moving from ddr2 to ddr3

Last response: in Motherboards
May 22, 2011 7:03:27 PM

Hello,

I have a gigabyte p35c-ds3r mobo running a core2duo 6400. It will support both ddr2 and ddr3. One of my ddr2 chips died and so I am deciding it is now time to go to ddr3.

After reading some of the replies to other posts and some of the articles published as well, it seems that I should go with DDR3 1600 <2x4GB>.

My big question is: when I take out the ddr2 and move to the DDR3, does the mobo like automatically notice the new ram and drop the voltage and *auto-config* the ram?

It seems that ddr2 runs at 1.8v and ddr3 runs about 1.5. I don't want to overvolt the new ram is my main concern.

Sorry if this is TMI.

More about : moving ddr2 ddr3

a c 435 V Motherboard
May 22, 2011 8:16:05 PM

Check the specs carefully; your board may only support up to 2 gb ddr3 per slot. Your board should automatically select the proper voltage for your new ram.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2011 8:37:00 PM

It should, but it might not. So soon as you get into the bios manually configure it.
m
l
Related resources
May 23, 2011 12:06:42 AM

o1die said:
Check the specs carefully; your board may only support up to 2 gb ddr3 per slot. Your board should automatically select the proper voltage for your new ram.

OH MAN! <FACEPALM> :ouch: 

So sad I didn't stop to think of going to the book itself. OK........that was definately bad on my part. I should have thought of it. But, thanks to you mentioning it, I bought the right replacement ram. It did only support 2GB in DDR3 with only 2 slots. I would have bought the wrong DDR3. <even had it in the cart>. I was going to go to 8GB. PHEW!!!

Now I can get just a little more life out of this build before next upgrade. Thank you! This really helps me more than you know! :) 

geekapproved said:
It should, but it might not. So soon as you get into the bios manually configure it.

Will do. Thanks for the heads-up! :sol: 

m
l
June 2, 2011 2:35:30 AM

UPDATE:

I got the ddr3 ram.............recommended <not pretty but recommended> by Gigabyte.

I put that in and YES........YOU GUESSED IT.........

Blue screens, tons of problems if I stick both sticks in............One stick works fine.

So now, it seems one stick of ddr2 or one stick of ddr3 works fine. Both stick of either and the system is not happy.

Are you guys thinking its time for a new board?

<If it matters> the two sticks of ddr2 ran fine for over 3 years. I only overclocked the cpu <with ddr2 installed not the ddr2 ram itself> within the past 6 months.
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
June 2, 2011 2:51:16 AM

At the post screen, check your current bios file number. The most recent bios file includes all previous bios updates. If you want to try flashing, disable windows firewall and any boot block or bios protection settings in the bios first. If your board has the dual bios program, that's a bonus that make flashing less risky. But if your bios version is the most recent, then you shouldn't flash. I'm a little surprised you could overclock the board at all; most of those dual ram boards aren't designed for it.
m
l
June 9, 2011 3:41:20 AM

Thanks all for all of your help. I am sorry for the late reply; but, there have been a LOT of happenings since last post.

I decided against the bios flash. Even though I was a few revisions too old, there were no mentions about ram instabilities. I gave up on the old board and bought a new<er> board that is ddr3 only. Everything else stayed the same for the most part except the chipset.

VERY and I mean VERY long story short, I had the same problem with the new board. It would only read the first stick and many different failures if I put in two.

I decided to call Kingston...........They beyond impressed me with their great service and wisdom. I put the sticks in slots 2 and 4 and it worked on the new board. I asked him about the other board and why I have to go to slots 2 and 4 and he said it just happens.

I am up and running again with the new board. <It came with latest bios as well>. The ram was only $43 including shipping from the egg. I didn't even have to reinstall woindows 7 Ultimate. Overall, I am happy in the end result.

I might have been able to save the old board if I moved to slots 2 and 4 with the DDR2. If I can get enough spare parts together, I may try it just to see what happens.

If you really want all the skinnies, let me know. I just don't want to bore you. I feel this post is already too long. lol
m
l
!