Samsung 830 Series - Am I doing everything right?

jar50972

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I just bought a Samsung 830 128GB SSD.

I installed a fresh Windows 7 Ultimate on the SSD.

Followed this guide: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mnkxIGLo46h3e24yA&sig2=13jpQu0HmUX1emjmbSjK6A
Any thing I shouldn't have done there?

I turn off the computer when I am not using it, something I never did before. I used to just close the lid and let it sleep. Should I just let it sleep or turn it off?

I heard you shouldn't let your SSD get filled too much? Any percentage or rule of thumb?
Is there a Windows 7 feature that stops me from filling it too much?

All in all, SSD's are really great and the laptop just feels really snappy. I cold boot in 15 seconds. Not bad!

Congratulation on your purchase!

Your link is not quite right but I can see from the URL that you are referring to Les Tokar's guide over at The SSD Review. I did not disable the Microsoft Windows System Restore/Backup feature. Instead, I changed the settings so that the restore points and backups are saved to my hard disk drive instead of my ssd. I also set it to run automatically every sunday morning. It runs in the background. No Muss! No fuss! No bother! :)

I turn my computer off too. I've been doing ever since I bought my first pc in 1985. One of the recommendations is to turn off sleep mode and hibernation. It is more of a space saving technique. No point in having extra files written to your ssd if you are short on space or do not mind turning off your computer.

There is a general rule of thumb. The rule is do not let your ssd get more than 80% full. I do not know of any Microsoft Windows 7 feature that actually prevents you from using up too much space on an ssd.

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I used a "junction" on C: to change location of Installer and Software Distribution folders to D: on my S830. There was quite a few GBs tied up in those folders, and I didn't find any way to change the settings.

BTW: How do you change the System Restore location? Is it mentioned in that article? I thought you couldn't move it.

eXistenz - I Have Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64 installed on my ssd. Here's what I do:

Go to Control Panel
Click on Backup and Restore
Click on Change Settings
Click on hard disk drive in the Backup Destination section. That section will also show optical drives and other suitable backup devices if available.

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Just curious, as I understand it you cannot move the storage location for the System Restore files off the drive on which they relate to. I'm assuming you're talking about the Windows Backup and Restore function, which does allow you to store them on a different drive. Is this correct?

Boy, if you do have a method to move the System Restore files to another drive that would be great. Right now I have it disabled on my SSD and am making nightly Windows Backup images to a HDD.