Do I need to worry about overheating?

plague115

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I bought a new computer about a month ago, and decided to upgrade the graphics card and the power supply in it. I upgraded the power supply from a 300w to a 750w and from a HD 5450-512MB to a HD 5770-1GB. While my little brother was playing Bad Company 2, I noticed that the cubby hole that I have the CPU sitting in was a little warm, and when I reached my hand around back and felt the power supply, it also felt a little warm. I never noticed that before the new install, but then again, I never checked. Just wondering if upgrading these 2 components usually means adding an extra fan or something. Is it possible that it could overheat with these 2 components now in my PCU? or should I be O.K. Its not super hot, but just wondering if being a little warm or even a little hot is normal.

Specs

HP Pavilion Elite
Model HPE-210y
AMD Phenom II Quad Core 3.0
8GB RAM
1TB Hardrive
300w PSU (now 750w Corsair PSU)
HD 5450-512MB Graphics Card (now HD 5770-1GB)

plague115

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Update, Ive noticed that since im not playing a game that it has cooled down a little bit. So that leads me to believe that running a game as demanding as modern Warfare 2 and Bad Compnay 2 will cause the PSU's temperature to rise, once again, is this normal?

plague115

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
OK, so I ran the app Core Temp, and booted my game back up and played for about ten minutes and got the following temps (with it still being in the cubby hole).

TJ. Max - 70c
CPU#0 - 40c
Low - 25c / High - 52c

Now the cubby hole is a full open front and back with about a total 1-foot gap from the top of the tower and about 3 to 4-inches on each side, do I still need to remove it or is that open enough? Are the temps O.K.?

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Temps dont look to bad.
It is an HP so air flow isnt great. The bad things about it being in a cabinet even if it is an open front is, they hold heat. It is up to you if you want to remove it.
I would at least add some fans if it is possible.

plague115

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Well, the problem with that is we have 2 kids that are 4 and 6, and I dont really feel comfortable with this thing sitting next to the desk unprotected because with MY kids, I can see an accident happening really fast, lol. What If I were to put a small fan not neccesarily in the PCU, but in the cubby hole, would this be good enough for the airflow or no?

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
I know what you mean. I have kids that are the same age. You should be ok. If your temps get any higher than you might try to place a fan in font of it to blow air through the cabinet, but you should be ok. [:bohleyk:1]

plague115

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I will just keep an eye on the Core Temp app for awhile, especially when gaming and if they do rise a litlle then I will go with the fan idea. Thanks alot guys, you've both been alot of help.

blaze13541

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
by any chance are you running any of your hardware overclocked? if not your probably fine. you can also look up the company determined max temps and see hw your numbers compare to theirs. you can find it on the manufatures site or just google search it. if your below thier reccomended max temps you have no worrys at all. when you start going over their max temp ratings then you need to watch it but their max temps are still in a safe range

TRENDING THREADS