I5-760 Melting Lava

iamnewhere

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
short and sweet. i5-760. idle @ 40C +/- a few degrees. Load goes up to 70C give or take. stock cooler.

i want to overclock and i was wondering if the Corsair A-50 would bring these temps down a significant amount, and if this aftermarket cpu cooler is worthy of some OC.

AMW1011

Distinguished

No, they are right in line with what the stock cooler can do, which is almost nothing. The Stock cooler is a joke and should NEVER be used, even stock. My i5 750 would go over 70c on all cores just doing the windows index score test, which isn't 100% load, and that was after I brought the temps down with aftermarket thermal paste.

For stock cooler you cannot expect anything better.Cpu can take temp upto 100c.

No, damage starts after 72c (likely higher, but that is the spec.), but it shuts down at 100.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=48496

LFaWolf

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I have an i5-750 and I used coolermaster 212 plus. Idles at 25c and full load 49c. No OC stock speed. The HS/Fan is a bit tall and won't fit a my midtower with my fan on the vent installed. I have a full tower lian li now and the whole thing is just beautiful now.

iamnewhere

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

yea i have a mid size tower with an 80mm fan over the side panel, so im worried about it fitting. ill do some measurements i guess. I was also looking at the Corsair A50, anyone know anything about that?

iamnewhere

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
a tower cooler??? whats that, the article you linked was to water cooling vs. air cooling. i figure you are a pretty knowledgeable person when it comes to something like this, so here it is. I have a case that is 6.37" inches wide. the side panel fan i have is 25mm into the case. Can i fit something like the Hyper 212 or Corsair A50 in there, they are both 60mm tall. Can i do this either with or without the side panel fan?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I also linked a CPU cooler comparison before that! By tower cooler I mean one that stands upright like in the cooler roundup:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2535-2.html
So, you'd need 6.3" between the CPU and side panel to fit the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. You might have that if you remove the side fan, or you might not. You should check.
Also in that review is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Revision 2, which should fit your case no matter how it's designed, and might even fit with the side fan installed. But here's the key: The side fan helps less than a tower cooler helps.

If you have a very tall cooler that blows down and aligns with the side fan, the side fan might help. But, tower-style coolers that blow from the RAM area to the case's rear-panel exhaust fan work even better. Better than most blow-down coolers, even with the side-panel fan.

It's all about directional airflow. I've found that cases that BARELY FIT around a blow-through CPU cooler are GREAT, because the exhaust fan does a better job of pulling air THROUGH the back of the CPU cooler. I also do case reviews :)

Edit: What I just said applies only if your exhaust fan has fairly good flow through the back of the case. Fans that are too small or too slow, or grilles that are too restrictive, would work to cancel out what I just said.

iamnewhere

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

Right now i have 120mm in the front of my case and a 120mm in the rear. I also have 2 80mm fans under my gtx480. My fans appear to be moving good air from the front to the rear. I am using a Cooler Master 334 (Nvidia edition) as my case.