Built system hangs up seconds after starting windows HELP

Hi all, I recently built a PC using these parts:

1 x AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX635WFGIBOX
1 x NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3- 12800CL9D-4GBRL
1 x GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
1 x ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
1 x EVGA 768-P3-1362-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
1 x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
1 x Rosewill RTK-002 Anti-Static Wrist Strap
1 x SILVERSTONE ST50F-ES 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

I put all of this together and installed Windows 7 64-bit and it was running great for about 2 days. I woke up in the morning to find it was off and wouldnt post. (lit up and, fans started to spin then turned back off). I thought this could be the PSU so I went and bought a Corsair 650TX. Hooked everything up and pressed the power button. The motherboard right inbetween 2 PCI slots caught on fire. (little black square) :( I blew it out and then decided I had a faulty motherboard. I tried to start it again (i know baddddd idea) and it powered into windows where it would be fine for about 10 min then hang up. So I ordered this Motherboard

1 x GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

I got this in the mail and installed it with all the parts from the first build including PSU I thought was dead. It powered up and worked fine for awhile then started to hang again. :( I went to a friend and tested the video card, HDD, and ran Memtest86 on the ram (which came back no errors) and they all ran great. The only thing that I havent tested is the CPU because he has a AM2 slot. On the system with the new motherboard, it will run without hangs at all until I install the GTX 460 driver, But installing the card in my friends system and the drivers it runs fine. I cant afford to buy new parts and try out all the parts so I came here to see if anyone at all can point me in the right direction. Thanks so much, Justin
3 answers Last reply
More about built system hangs seconds starting windows help
  1. I also tried one stick of ram in different slots, but it didnt help. I have installed Windows 7 64Bit and Windows Vista 32Bit freshly multiple times. Same thing everytime.
  2. So, you're saying you tested everything EXCEPT the processor?
  3. Yes the motherboard is new so that was not tested. I also didnt test the motherboard because it has the same problem as the fried motherboard so I figured it had to be smething else.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems