Looking for a card to replace 9800GTX that burned out.

abstractions

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Hello everyone,

I'm currently on the market for a new graphics card, pref between 120-180 usd. My previous card was a 9800 gtx from BFG, it served me well for the last 2 ought years, but has now fried on me. I'm looking for something with AT LEAST superior to comparable performance.

Some variables which are important;

This card will have to do well in a warmer climate, meaning no hot runners please. It can get up to 80-90 in this room during the day, so something cooler (i.e newer generation) will probably be a good idea.

I'm running an older dell 30' at 2560x1600 so the card will have to be able to handle that.

I do play a few games, BFBC2, L4d2, so I'd like it to be capable of running those games with some frills at 1280x800 at least (the monitors other native res)

I appreciate any help the community is willing to offer.

Extra info:
This will be a single gpu (no cross fire or sli, though my board does have an SLI option.

I'm currently looking at a 5770 from ati, but I'm not sure how the performance will compare to my older card. I've also heard ati has issues with driver support, and with a nvidia based mobo I don't want to have constant issues if possible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102873
or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102858
(though i'm not entirely sure what the difference is...?)

The other promising option appears to be the 250 series, but I've read it uses a similar GPU to my 2 year old 9800gtx? Really?

thanks!

Solution
A 9800GTX+ is roughly = to a GTS250

The HD5770 is the best option in your price range, However it will struggle at 2560 x 1600.

I would recommend a HD5850 for that res, unfortunately it's $100 over your budget. If you can't wait then either buy a really cheap temperary card whilst you save up for a HD5850 or better, Or get the HD5770 and make do, knowing that you will probably have to lower the res in most modern games...
A 9800GTX+ is roughly = to a GTS250

The HD5770 is the best option in your price range, However it will struggle at 2560 x 1600.

I would recommend a HD5850 for that res, unfortunately it's $100 over your budget. If you can't wait then either buy a really cheap temperary card whilst you save up for a HD5850 or better, Or get the HD5770 and make do, knowing that you will probably have to lower the res in most modern games...

Solution

abstractions

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I planned on playing most stressful games at 1280x800 anyway so that isn't much of an issue for me. I was able to still top most everything out at that res before my card died.

What I find curious is that after 2 years an HD5770 is virtually the same card as the 9800gtx (performance wise), kind of lame tbh.

Just remember that the 8800GTX Ultra cost an absolute fortune back in the day, and the 8800GTX Ultra and HD5770 are similar in performance (HD5770 being slightly faster), but the HD5770 is just a fraction of the price.. So although its performance is similar to 2 year old cards its ALOT cheaper.

Why don't you Take advantage of BFG's lifetime warranty? Then if you must spend money on an upgrade, you could just get another of whatever card BFG sends you and go SLI?

When this was originally submitted, I didn't know that BFG had gone out of business. :cry:

I apologize for any inconvenience. :hello: