Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SSD problem and BSODs

Last response: in Storage
Share
October 15, 2012 11:17:16 AM

Hey,

A short example of my problem:
- I boot my computer, everything is in it's normal place. Let's call this "state A"

- I just use my computer as usual, playing some games, doing some work for school, rearranging some icons, etc. Let's call this "state B"

(let's just assume a bsod now strikes, and they occur quite often. More on this below)
- So my computer restarts. I log back into windows again.

- Now things start to get weird: The SSD rolled back from state B, to state A. Icons are no longer rearranged, work i have done has disappeared and magically that recycle bin that i emptied is also full again with the stuff that i assumed was permanently deleted.

----------
I do have another normal disk that i use for data storage, if changes are made to that drive, they stay the same after a crash occured. So it really is something with the SSD.

I experience a lot of BSOD's, they all say something different but the most common are "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and crashes involving dxgkrnl.sys. To this day i have not found out where those bsod's come from.

I have looked all over the web for solutions or people with the same problem. Didn't find that yet.

My system specs:
Kingston SSDNow V-Series SSD — SNV425-S2

Intel Core i7-930 @ 2.6GHz (which i run at 3.8 GHz)
GeiL Black Dragon 1600 RAM (which i run at 1603 MHz)
Asus rampage 2 extreme board
NVidia gtx295 (i run this one at stock settings)

Dxdiag:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?177h2l3816aftoe

If you can help me i will be eternally grateful,
Thank in advance,
Martijn

More about : ssd problem bsods

a c 351 G Storage
October 15, 2012 1:20:58 PM

Ddn't mention, any memory errors when runing prime 95. If you have not run this, recommend that you verify NO stability problems when runing Prime95 in Blend mode and NO memory errors or CPU errors. May need to roll back some of that OC.

Need to solve the BSOD errors. I'm quessing that the Diff beween the SSD and HDD when restarting after a BSOD is that - wih SSD the OS is tring to reover from the BSOD by rolling back to a previous "good" state while with the HDDs it is Not.
October 15, 2012 1:42:29 PM

I always benchmark with OCCT and IntelBurnTest to verify OC stability. I'll run prime and post a screenshot within the hour.

I had my memory checked by windows and by memtest86, both reported no errors.
Related resources
October 15, 2012 1:52:44 PM

If you have not tried, try this set your pc to normal clock, CPU and memory to normal operation. See if that keeps it from. Blue Screen. From that point you can move up the ladder
October 15, 2012 1:57:37 PM

Ofcourse i have tried to drop my OC. That's the first thing to do when bluescreening a lot. It did not resolve my problem tough. Still had loads of BSOD's.

Here is the prime result. Ran for 10 minutes straight without error: http://imgur.com/ron5p
a b G Storage
October 15, 2012 2:27:47 PM

Have you done any tweaks for your SSD (such as the things suggested here: http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/...) I wonder if you are losing changes because you've modified some buffer or caching behaviors? It could also be that the system crashes because it cannot write to the SSD properly... (speculating that the changes you make are being buffered, and then you crash when the buffer fills, losing all the changes)

Also, does your SSD ever fail to show at start up (giving "No OS found" errors)?

October 15, 2012 2:30:41 PM

djscribbles said:
Have you done any tweaks for your SSD (such as the things suggested here: http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/...) I wonder if you are losing changes because you've modified some buffer or caching behaviors? It could also be that the system crashes because it cannot write to the SSD properly... (speculating that the changes you make are being buffered, and then you crash when the buffer fills, losing all the changes)

Also, does your SSD ever fail to show at start up (giving "No OS found" errors)?


Yes it does. After bsods that give me the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, i get an error stating "No boot media found. Insert boot media and press a key".

Luckely, i have a high end board that resets cmos with one press of the button. That always solves the 'media not found' error, and lets me get back to windows.
a b G Storage
October 15, 2012 2:43:16 PM

My suspicion is that your SSD is failing, or having firmware problems. Has the BSOD been getting progressively more frequent? Have you tried updating the firmware or any other troubleshooting tips from kingston?

I would definitely backup any data on your SSD, to be safe. Next time it BSODs and you get no OS found, try shutting the computer off, let it sit for 2 minutes or so, then power back on without resetting cmos; to see if the SSD magically reappears (try a few power cycles if needed).

I would suggest setting up a bootable linux thumb drive (or just installing windows on your HDD with the SSD disconnected), and use that to backup your data; if you do that, I would expect you will see your SSD disappearing from the drive list occasionally (interrupting any copy you have going); your system will not crash because the SSD is no longer the system drive.
a c 351 G Storage
October 15, 2012 2:58:48 PM

Does sound like the SSD as djscribbles stated. In addition to djscribbles comments, Question what percentage of the drive is filled
as the max recommended fill is 80->85 percent. 2ndly you are using mschasi, or better yet iaSTor as the driver, correct.

On prime 95.
Normally for a stability test prime 95 should be run 4+ hours.
Just an observation; memtest is good for runing off of a boot disk, but prime 95 will generally show errors that do not show up under memtest86.

How are Voltages and temps, I would guess that you have already rule these out.
However would be remiss if didn't ask.
I first run prime95 to verify +12 V rail and CPU temps. +5 OK if 4.75 -> 5.25. For +12V the spec is 11.4 V -> 12.6 V. For the Min I pitch if below 11.6 V or if differece between idle and Full load drops more than 0.3 V. There have been a couple of posts that the PSU was within specs, but was infact the problem - Has to do with Noise and spikes that do NOT show up very well on Computer Voltage displays. need a graph and a Much faster sample rate and is normally verified using a O'scope, expensive and not NORMALLY availble.
Also I run Furmark to stress +12V and check GPU temps (1) again verifing +12V and (2) verify GPU temps
a b G Storage
October 16, 2012 8:53:20 AM

Do you have a drive to replace the SSD, maybe put the OS on via cloning?
If this solves the problem you would now that the SSD has a problem. On the other your system could got a permanent error, due to long time OC.
October 16, 2012 10:12:52 AM

mad-max79 said:
Do you have a drive to replace the SSD, maybe put the OS on via cloning?
If this solves the problem you would now that the SSD has a problem. On the other your system could got a permanent error, due to long time OC.


If i put my os on a hdd the problems are gone. I already tried that.
October 16, 2012 10:13:29 AM

RetiredChief said:
Does sound like the SSD as djscribbles stated. In addition to djscribbles comments, Question what percentage of the drive is filled
as the max recommended fill is 80->85 percent. 2ndly you are using mschasi, or better yet iaSTor as the driver, correct.

On prime 95.
Normally for a stability test prime 95 should be run 4+ hours.
Just an observation; memtest is good for runing off of a boot disk, but prime 95 will generally show errors that do not show up under memtest86.

How are Voltages and temps, I would guess that you have already rule these out.
However would be remiss if didn't ask.
I first run prime95 to verify +12 V rail and CPU temps. +5 OK if 4.75 -> 5.25. For +12V the spec is 11.4 V -> 12.6 V. For the Min I pitch if below 11.6 V or if differece between idle and Full load drops more than 0.3 V. There have been a couple of posts that the PSU was within specs, but was infact the problem - Has to do with Noise and spikes that do NOT show up very well on Computer Voltage displays. need a graph and a Much faster sample rate and is normally verified using a O'scope, expensive and not NORMALLY availble.
Also I run Furmark to stress +12V and check GPU temps (1) again verifing +12V and (2) verify GPU temps


I'm not sure what do do here, i never messed around with voltages other than direct cpu or ram related voltages. (Core/QPI/dram core and dram voltage)
a b G Storage
October 16, 2012 10:46:57 AM

Based on everything you've said here, getting rid of that ssd, and replacing it sounds like your best/least frustrating option. I would take the hit and lose a bit to sell that one, and buy a samsung drive.

Very likely that would resolve the issues you've got, and it's just not worth all the frustration you are dealing with to save a bit.
a b G Storage
October 16, 2012 12:15:42 PM

I would suggest simply opening an RMA with kingston, get your files backed up and ship it back, no fun but it's your cheapest option (assuming you get a working one back). There maybe some steps they run you through such as updating the firmware, and that could help, as sandforce is an unwieldy beast.

However, Samsung 830s and Crucial M4s are the typical recommendation for a reliable drive. Sandforce SSDs seem to have problems such as the one you've got, I had one fail in a similar fashion about 6 months in, so it's a familiar situation :) 

My RMA took forever, and I wound up getting a next gen drive out of it (mine was OCZ), which has been reliable since. As a precaution, I never keep personal data on my SSD; always move my Users folder off drive.
a c 351 G Storage
October 16, 2012 12:37:55 PM

My comments on voltages, were not directed at "messing around" with specific CPU/Ram voltages. Was aimed at just verifing the The +5 and +12 V PSU outputs are within specs and do not very significantly when switching between idle and load.

Reason I asked on How full your SSD is.
You have a 64 gig SSD which means that you only have about 50->54 gigs of available space. My systems all use about 35 gigs for Windows OS and Programs - NO games. This is with doing the space saving tweaks:
A) Disable Hibernation (saves me 8 gigs (laptop) 16 gigs (desktop)
B) Manage Page file (Virtual memory). I've set min and max to 1024 mbs. this saves about 11 gigs.
C) Disabled System restore. Over time this can save 3, or more, Gigs of space.
D) moved user/My doc to HDD.
Without these My systems would be very close to 57+ gigs (laptop) and around 70 gigs for my 16 Gig ram desktop.

Running an SSD to close to it's max capacity can create problems. Reason is that it will reduce the ability of wear leveling to balance cell writes, and decreases the ability of CG/Trim to work there magic. This could in effect be why the SSD appears to be dieing. Main reason I do NOT recommend 64 gig SSDs as a OS + Storage drive. 60/64 is listed as The MIN, not the recommended size. Personally I recommend nothing les than a 80 gig and prefer a OS SSD in the 120/128 gig range.
October 16, 2012 12:58:04 PM

RetiredChief said:
My comments on voltages, were not directed at "messing around" with specific CPU/Ram voltages. Was aimed at just verifing the The +5 and +12 V PSU outputs are within specs and do not very significantly when switching between idle and load.

Reason I asked on How full your SSD is.
You have a 64 gig SSD which means that you only have about 50->54 gigs of available space. My systems all use about 35 gigs for Windows OS and Programs - NO games. This is with doing the space saving tweaks:
A) Disable Hibernation (saves me 8 gigs (laptop) 16 gigs (desktop)
B) Manage Page file (Virtual memory). I've set min and max to 1024 mbs. this saves about 11 gigs.
C) Disabled System restore. Over time this can save 3, or more, Gigs of space.
D) moved user/My doc to HDD.
Without these My systems would be very close to 57+ gigs (laptop) and around 70 gigs for my 16 Gig ram desktop.

Running an SSD to close to it's max capacity can create problems. Reason is that it will reduce the ability of wear leveling to balance cell writes, and decreases the ability of CG/Trim to work there magic. This could in effect be why the SSD appears to be dieing. Main reason I do NOT recommend 64 gig SSDs as a OS + Storage drive. 60/64 is listed as The MIN, not the recommended size. Personally I recommend nothing les than a 80 gig and prefer a OS SSD in the 120/128 gig range.


I done every tweak there was on the website that djscribbles linked. I saved a little space that way and the drive is a little quicker.
a c 351 G Storage
October 16, 2012 1:55:40 PM

My crowbar is at home, so let me try again, prior to the tweaks what percentage of the drive was filled with data??
October 16, 2012 2:27:47 PM

RetiredChief said:
My crowbar is at home, so let me try again, prior to the tweaks what percentage of the drive was filled with data??


51.8 / 59.6 (86.9%)
a c 351 G Storage
October 16, 2012 2:56:23 PM

Thanks.
You are VERY close to the MAX fill point (53 Gigs) and above the recommended fill of 50 gigs.

I thinking that the problem you are having is that when a program opens temp files are often written (deleted when program closes) that would boast your utilization and that the SSD is having problems finding unused blocks to write too. And that is probably why no problem when using the HDD as the OS + program drive.
Bottom line is I highly recommend larger SSD. As I stated my MIn recommend size for a OS + program SSD is 80 gigs. You can find some great buys for the more relialble M4, 830 128 gig drives - Just look for sales.
October 16, 2012 4:46:27 PM

RetiredChief said:
Thanks.
You are VERY close to the MAX fill point (53 Gigs) and above the recommended fill of 50 gigs.

I thinking that the problem you are having is that when a program opens temp files are often written (deleted when program closes) that would boast your utilization and that the SSD is having problems finding unused blocks to write too. And that is probably why no problem when using the HDD as the OS + program drive.
Bottom line is I highly recommend larger SSD. As I stated my MIn recommend size for a OS + program SSD is 80 gigs. You can find some great buys for the more relialble M4, 830 128 gig drives - Just look for sales.


Allright, i hope that resolves it then. Thank you a lot!
a c 351 G Storage
October 16, 2012 8:51:01 PM

Just confirms problem is reading the SSD.
Quote

The error code KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR STOP: 0x0000007A states that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory. It appears that there are some issues with the hard disk.
End quote
a b G Storage
October 16, 2012 9:52:00 PM

Just my opinion, but I doubt it's an issue with the drive being too full. It's easy enough to test though, to confirm one way or the other.

Might as well do a clean install on the drive, and just leave windows loaded to test chiefs theory. If you still end up with issues, you could rma, but personally I would just drop that drive and get something else.
October 16, 2012 10:04:33 PM

tomatthe said:
Just my opinion, but I doubt it's an issue with the drive being too full. It's easy enough to test though, to confirm one way or the other.

Might as well do a clean install on the drive, and just leave windows loaded to test chiefs theory. If you still end up with issues, you could rma, but personally I would just drop that drive and get something else.


I reinstalled windows tons of times on this drive. The problem disappears for a few weeks, then returns. Then the cycle begins again.
a b G Storage
October 16, 2012 11:35:00 PM

To me that says it is not related to the space on the drive assuming the issues returned while you still have plenty of free space, replace the drive and be done with it.

I do not think you can do anything as an end user to resolve the issues you are having with that drive and your system.
a b G Storage
October 17, 2012 12:17:18 PM

The only thing that could help at this point would be a firmware update from kingston, along with a secure erase. However, I would start the RMA process in parallel :) 

You should be able to find instructions for firmware updating on their site, somewhere.
!