Gigabyte won't answer my question

engrbill47

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
My motherboard is a GA-MA74GM-S2. rev. 1.0. I have been told on the Graphics & Display forum that I can purchase a AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x and it will upgrade my system. But Gigabyte seems to have washed it's hands of my board. It's three + years old. All I want to know is if it will support the 125 watt CPU. When I emailed Gigabyte, the sound of crashing silence was all that I heard. No email response. Zip. Nada. :??: What's a home builder to do? I do not want to replace the MB and start over. Just upgrade the PS to 750 watts and plug in the higher speed quad core. My current CPU is a early Phenom, 2.2 Ghz 4x. Does any one out there know if my board will support the TDP of 125 watts? And if I have to update the bios before or after I insert the new CPU?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

I checked the CPU compatability list and agree 100% with spooky. Double check that you gave us the correct CPU model , because there are a couple that run up to 125 watts, and the hotter models are compatable with a different BIOS version number.

Gigabyte is difficult at times to get a response from, however it is possible someone over in Taiwan thought you could just look it up on the web site yourself, as Spooky did.

Hope that's helpful.

engrbill47

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

John:
Thanks for your reply. Now, my most important question. Will I need to start from scratch (i.E., reformat, load Windows, etc.) or will I be able to sort of Plug & Play? :pt1cable: If the former is required, then I probably need to purchase Windows 7 or whatever MS is calling their new and improved O.S.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi again,

To upgrade your CPU to the higher speed one, as long as the MB compatability list says it will work, you just have to plug it in, replace the heat sink, and after it boots normally, then flash the bios to the latest version. I always download the flash BIOS first, put it on a flash drive, or Floppy if your computer has a floppy drive, and have it ready to go before making the CPU change. Be sure to use the QFlash in flashing the BIOS, not the @BIOS windows applet they supply. Since you are not changing the MB drivers, you should be all set.

If you are thinking about upgrading your system to Win-7, it would be a good time to do it. It's a very stable OS.

Other thing to think about since you are going to a "hotter" chip, is proper CPU cooling. Take a look at the Corsair H60, all inclusive water cooling unit that is ready to go. Impressive cooling stats as reviewed thoroughly by HardwareCanucks. The radiator and120mm fan replace the back 120mm fan on your case, and the small heat sink replaces the large air cooled heat sink. Costs about $70 on Amazon.