Ooops Triple Channel

tinbanger

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Hi all I built my computer 1.5 years ago, I have a evga mother board with triple channel ddr3 memory(6 gigs). The problem is my mother board only handles duel channel so I'm effectively use 4 gigs. Could I add one 2 gig stick to the board for 8 gigs or do I need to put all new duel channel in.

Thanks,
Tin

Solution
I should have written that sentence better: I meant, if you are not on an X58 board, then leave the stick where it is; but if you do have a X58 board, and it is the RAM not functioning, then replace the stick.

No, that board is P55. So if you just add another identical stick (or at least identical speed and timings), you will have 8 GB of dual channel.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
You could just add one identical stick, move the existing one that isn't working (assuming that you're on a X58 board with one slot not functioning, not X58 then leave it, RAM not functioning, then replace and run in triple-channel with 6 GB), and you'll be fine.

Assuming you've got a non-X58 board, then you'll have 6 GB, just in either single-channel mode, or a hybrid with 4 GB in dual and 2 in single.

tinbanger

Distinguished
May 22, 2011

Thanks for the reply, not sure if my motherboard is X58 or not(dont think it is). Also not sure what you mean here
not X58 then leave it, RAM not functioning, then replace and run in triple-channel with 6 GB

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I should have written that sentence better: I meant, if you are not on an X58 board, then leave the stick where it is; but if you do have a X58 board, and it is the RAM not functioning, then replace the stick.

No, that board is P55. So if you just add another identical stick (or at least identical speed and timings), you will have 8 GB of dual channel.

Solution

tinbanger

Distinguished
May 22, 2011

Sweet, thanks a ton I'll put that on my next newegg shopping list :D

What Operating System are you using? If it is 32-bit, then you won't see more than 3.25-3.5 GB, no matter what you have or add to your ram. If you have a 64-bit OS and you still only see 4 GB, then there is a problem either with your RAM or possibly the motherboard.

tinbanger

Distinguished
May 22, 2011

I got that part covered, Windows 7 Home premium 64bit I do see 6 gigs but I'm only using 4 gigs.

Thanks,
Tin