No signal message on the monitor

sceldr

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Hello, I have something that is driving me crazy. I am building a computer, I have triple checked to see if all wires are in place and everything is seated. I have cleared the CMOS and removed/replaced the battery. All fans and lights come on, even the keyboard flashes lights. I still get a no signal message on the monitor. Here is a list of what I have put together for this build:
MSI 790XT-G45 Motherboard
Western Digital 1TB Black Caviar Hard drive
XFX Geforce 9500 1Gb DDR2 gaphics card
4 Gb ram DDR2
AMD 3.2 Ghz Phenom II Callisto Black Edition
Raidmax Smilodon tower with 500 Watt power supply
LG Dvd rom
I know that the 790XT-G45 has no on board graphics card so how am I suppose to install any drivers, Windows 7, or even set up BIOS without having a signal to monitor?

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
An nVidia card... hmm, since I never have any experience with the brand. So I can only give you generic suggestions:

Any audible signal coming from your motherboard. If there is, could be RAM issue. Try using a single piece of RAM first and see if the PC will boot.

Try that first, and fill us in about the detailed real time condition. Good luck!

Take the ram and video card out and switch on, if you get error beeps, motherboard and cpu ok.

Put in one stick of memory at a time and see if it gives you error beeps when it can't find the gpu, if this happens memory ok.

Stick in the graphics card, if no error beeps, could be a fault card.

Video cable and monitor in working order?

sceldr

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
I tried removing the ram and replacing with only one stick to test it. No beep, no signal message still on monitor.
I am starting to think it is cpu at this point, going to check cpu and mother board with removing graphics and ram Thanks for all of the help.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

Have you connected the little motherboard speaker for debugging? I don't know about yours, but mine has it. It's something like this:

Sorry for the blurred image. I took it from my mobo picture. It's located at the top right corner between the 2 LED lights, with cables tying the USB connectors.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs641.snc4/60149_156291161061280_100000411902419_410747_1986409_n.jpg

Assuming you can't find one but a generic external speaker instead, it can also functions as that particular component. Just plug it in the rear panel audio output.

I've never heard about removing the GPU and all the RAM modules for troubleshooting. Since your mobo doesn't have an onboard GPU, you should install the 9500. Install 1 RAM module at a time. Remember the speaker factor. How do you think the beep will be heard without an output device?

EDIT: Somehow the upload picture doesn't work. Just follow the URL

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
i thought that even without a graphics controller that it should still display BIOS, is this correct someone.?
if so and yours is not working as such then that leads to the motherboard being bad.
if not so then do you have another video card to try first and then keep troubleshooting from there after that..
Assuming the onboard rear panel provides an output connector, your thought might be correct. If not, then how can monitor receive the display signal?

I agree the motherboard is most likely defected since nothing is coming from the system. Again, assuming the OP has an audio output device to at least hear something from the motherboard. I'm not sure whether there's an integrated speaker on the board. If there is, then we can be more positive about the motherboard being defective.

sceldr

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010

sceldr

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
ok everybody, I found out what the problem was an unplugged 4 pin ATX Cpu power supply, I thought after I connected the 24 pin that was all of the power to motherboard. Thank You for all of the help from everybody.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
That was... awkward. I thought by your statement "triple checked", you've connected everything correctly. Well, since experience is the best teacher, this one will ensure you not to make the same basic mistake ever again. :D

I agree with malmental, consider (seriously) to upgrade that graphic card in the future.