Sign in with
Your question

Whats a good harddrive to get

Last response: in Storage
October 15, 2012 2:30:34 PM

hi whats a good Internal Hard Drive to get for my computer im looking toget 1TB this is what i have now Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 500GB is there better then that out there

More about : whats good harddrive

a b G Storage
October 15, 2012 2:49:44 PM

Either a Wester Digital Blue/Black drive, or a Samsung Spinpoint F3. Both are typically more reliable than Seagate drives (though the Samsung is now a subsidiary of Seagate, I am not sure if this has effected the reliability of the drive).

SSDs are also very nice drives if you are unfamiliar with the tech (and have an option to use two internal hard drives); they are much much faster than a traditional hard drive, but also cost much more per gigabyte than a traditional hard drive.

Related resources
October 15, 2012 5:41:36 PM

Kind of a crap shoot these days, but I would go with a WD Black if you can afford it. WD Black is much different than a WD Blue, look closer at those specs.
Samsung is now owned by Seagate, I have a few Samsungs, they are great drives, but I would not go with the Samsungs manufactured by Seagate.
Check the warranty period on hard drives, that will tell you how much faith the manufacturer has in it...
a b G Storage
October 15, 2012 6:25:22 PM

I've been using WD Caviar exclusively for over 15 years and just recently lost my first bit of data on an old drive I should have replaced. Not bad, IMHO. Of course no HDD can compare to an SSD for reliability.
a b G Storage
October 15, 2012 6:44:01 PM

The best HDD is the Western Digital Velociraptor.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/velociraptor-1tb-hd...

As of now on newegg, the 1TB one costs 290 bucks. You could get two 500GB ones to double the read and write speeds in Raid0 and they cost 180 X 2 or 360 bucks.

An alternative I am thinking of is just getting a big SSD and call it a day. You can get a 512MB SSD that costs only 330 dollars. If you can keep your storage needs below 500G this will be the way to go. Very fast, faster then any hard disk drive on the planet.
a b G Storage
October 15, 2012 7:50:08 PM

babernet_1 said:
The best HDD is the Western Digital Velociraptor.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/velociraptor-1tb-hd...

As of now on newegg, the 1TB one costs 290 bucks. You could get two 500GB ones to double the read and write speeds in Raid0 and they cost 180 X 2 or 360 bucks.

An alternative I am thinking of is just getting a big SSD and call it a day. You can get a 512MB SSD that costs only 330 dollars. If you can keep your storage needs below 500G this will be the way to go. Very fast, faster then any hard disk drive on the planet.

There's no need for a "storage" drive to be fast. Using a Velociraptor or an SSD for bulk storage would not be cost effective. Defining a Velociraptor as the "best" HDD is a misnomer. It is certainly one of the fastest HDD but is no more reliable than a Caviar black. Most people are using a smallish (128GB) SSD for booting and a green WD for bulk. My bulk storage is external so I can turn it off when not in use.
October 15, 2012 8:11:47 PM

The aboves are fine, just never go with Seagate. They have a high fail rate.
a b G Storage
October 16, 2012 10:15:16 AM

ram1009 said:
Does it not have a shorter warranty?

Yeah it has a 2 year warranty. That was the only difference I could find in the two. It didn't seem worth it to me to spend ~$30 more for extra warranty.
!