Solved

Will a 3-pin Power Connector work on a 4-pin fan header?

I have a question will a 3-pin Power Connector work on a 4-pin fan header or vice versa?
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about will power connector work header
  1. Best answer
    Yes, a 4 pin on a 3 pin header won't have PWM control though
  2. No adapter needed, just plug them with the PWM-pin unfilled.
  3. Quote:
    they do make adapters for just such things..

Yeah they do but they don't make them for a 4 pin header only 4-pin connector for the PSU.
  4. What like?

@Timop but what about fourth pin on the header what's that for?
  5. ITsonic said:
    What like?

@Timop but what about fourth pin on the header what's that for?

The fourth pin is for PWM, a form of fan speed control.
    3-pin fans can still change speeds, the Mobo simply reduces the volts supplied.
  6. So the Mobo will make the fan run at a slower speed or something by reduceing the volts?
  7. Best answer selected by ITsonic.
  8. but my cpu fan maxed out with 3-pin connector on 4-pin header
  9. Lim Chi Yuung said:
    but my cpu fan maxed out with 3-pin connector on 4-pin header

Oops i didn't mean to choose this as the solution. Anyway i'm having the same problem as you. Is the 3-pin supposed to be connected to the left side or the right side :S http://prntscr.com/4ml74n
  10. RaawrItsTomi said:
    Lim Chi Yuung said:
    but my cpu fan maxed out with 3-pin connector on 4-pin header

Oops i didn't mean to choose this as the solution. Anyway i'm having the same problem as you. Is the 3-pin supposed to be connected to the left side or the right side :S http://prntscr.com/4ml74n

it's too late but nvm i'll just answer your question anyway. the correct way is A. my solution to it was that i bought a new motherboard that has 4-pin header.
  11. Excellent! So I bought a replacement fan for my Laptop, but turns out it is a 3 pin (Red, Blue, Black wires) that I have to swap with the plug from my old fan that fits the socket (Red, Blue, Yellow, Black). Except I will leave the Yellow empty. Being that the Yellow wire is only for the Tachometer am I right in assuming that there will be no ill effects leaving this wire out of the equation? I've also read/seen elsewhere that this solution will leave my fan running at maximum speed constantly - which is fine by me as it seems that my laptop needs to be well ventilated anyway. Any suggestions, comments, warnings? Thank you all! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Fan Power Components