Sign in with
Your question

Looking to upgrade from a GTX 260

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 22, 2010 11:37:33 AM

Hi all, I have been looking over reviews for cards and I am having a hard time deciding which is the best card I can get within my budget. I will be making the purchase this week and I'm looking to spend $500 before rebates. I play games like Crysis, metro 2033, Dawn of Discovery (anno 1404), left 4 dead 2, Tropico 3, WoW, sins of a solar empire. Currently I have a BFG GTX 260 OC and a BFG 650W PSU. Current system I'm working with is...

CPU AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
CPU Speed 3.40 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70
System RAM 4.0 GB
Video Card BFG GeForce GTX 260 OC MAXCORE 55
Sound Card Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (build 7600), 64-bit
Case Antec 900
Monitor 32 inch Insignia LCD monitor
Monitor resolution 1368X768

I have no preferences when it comes to brands. I will say that I'm not looking to run more than one video card in my system. I've never gotten around to overclocking so i usually buy cards that come overclocked from the factory. I'm trying to figure out whether to go with a GTX 480 or a 5870, or if I should even go with those at all. I'm wanting to upgrade because since I've upgraded my cpu/mobo it seems like the only thing slowing my computer down when I play these games is my current video card. I'd like to run these games at the highest settings possible while maintaining a playable frame rate. All advice is welcome, thank you for the help.
-Thomas

More about : upgrade gtx 260

a c 169 U Graphics card
June 22, 2010 12:57:54 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
Are you experiencing low FPS with your card ? because a GTX 260 is more than enough for 1366x768 and should handle everything fine.
I would only recommend going with a faster card like 5870/480 if you get a LCD with a higher resolution like 1920x1200.
a c 189 U Graphics card
June 22, 2010 12:58:31 PM

You want to buy a higher card when you're only play at 1368x768 on 32" Monitor??!
If you are still play on that low resolution then you're just wasting your money...
Related resources
June 22, 2010 8:00:01 PM

Yea i do experience drops in frame rate when i play most games even on that resolution. Its enough to make me want to do something about it. Anno 1404, crysis, tropico 3, are just some examples. When i run my system resource monitor the only thing in my system that maxes out is the video card. I cant think of anything else in my system to upgrade besides that. Also anytime I try running a resolution other than the native one it makes the text and UI almost unreadable in games. as far as video cards go I have a general idea of what I want, like what you said gtx480 or 5870, but I've looked up so many reviews for those cards that its like overload for me. I dunno which one to get. I will also say that I'm planning on getting a new monitor this christmas so I also need to take that into account.
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2010 8:24:30 PM

hi bro, if you want physx, cuda, and better Anti aliasing suuport go with the gtx470 or the gtx 465, are the best choices for the resolution you are playing. if you just want better performance with no AA and no physx, go with the hd 5850 or the hd 5870, your choice. in your place i would go for the gtx 465 or the 470
a c 169 U Graphics card
June 22, 2010 8:42:04 PM

Nvvmxa said:
Yea i do experience drops in frame rate when i play most games even on that resolution. Its enough to make me want to do something about it. Anno 1404, crysis, tropico 3, are just some examples. When i run my system resource monitor the only thing in my system that maxes out is the video card. I cant think of anything else in my system to upgrade besides that. Also anytime I try running a resolution other than the native one it makes the text and UI almost unreadable in games. as far as video cards go I have a general idea of what I want, like what you said gtx480 or 5870, but I've looked up so many reviews for those cards that its like overload for me. I dunno which one to get. I will also say that I'm planning on getting a new monitor this christmas so I also need to take that into account.

If you upgrade your monitor,then both 5870 and a GTX 480 would be good choices.
GTX 480 is faster in games but is noisier,produces more heat and has more power consumption
a c 106 U Graphics card
June 22, 2010 9:04:21 PM

:heink:  I look at you strangely.

I say a 5870 if you want a boost in speed, but I think that's complete overkill for that resolution. I can see Metro and Crysis bogging down your current video card though even at that res if you put everything as high as you can. If you get a 5870 or GTX 470 then it's your CPU that will become the bottleneck so you may want to consider overclocking it, at least a little.
!