Sign in with
Your question

Possible to RAID / SPAN USB DRIVES?

Last response: in Storage
October 15, 2012 3:53:28 PM

Hello,

I have a bunch of enclosed hard drives, i wanted to know if it would be possible to "span" the drives to make one large storage pool.

I want to use the storage pool to create Virtual Machines for testing.

I've already tried to do this through windows 7 but I cannot, as they need to be converted to dynamic disks and windows wont let me. Any Suggestions? Linux perhaps?

More about : raid span usb drives

December 29, 2012 2:52:01 PM

jtorres93 said:
Hello,

I have a bunch of enclosed hard drives, i wanted to know if it would be possible to "span" the drives to make one large storage pool.

I want to use the storage pool to create Virtual Machines for testing.

I've already tried to do this through windows 7 but I cannot, as they need to be converted to dynamic disks and windows wont let me. Any Suggestions? Linux perhaps?

if you want to do it from windows, you will have to reformat the drive(s) into a dynamic disk. then create a spanned hard drive. Windows 8 does it using something called storage spaces. it works a lot like windows home server drive extender.

Linux does all this easily too. you basically make a directory that expands across drives (i think). I would use linux just because it would be a great learning curve.

I'm actually going to be doing the same thing soon.
m
l
December 29, 2012 2:53:57 PM

did i just answer myself?
m
l
!