Will this work with my current CPU?

deadpool405

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I have an AMD Athlon 64 AM2 CPU and I am wanting to start an upgrade after getting a new graphics card. Will this motherboard work with my current CPU?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186188

According to my research (which could be way off honestly) my current CPU is AM2 socket, the reason I am looking at this mobo is because it looks like it will work with my current CPU until I can upgrade it.

If you have any suggestions on mobo and/or CPU upgrades, please let me know! Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Maybe I jumped the gun on this one, I should be getting a mobo that supports DDR3, correct? I do not see any mobos that support DDR3 that would work with my current CPU so I can upgrade one part at a time, correct me if I am wrong please!

deadpool405

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Sorry, thought I had that in my signature.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Dual Core

GPU - Galaxy 50SGH8HX3QMZ GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) GC Version 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

RAM - 4GB RAM

Mother Board - MS-7260 Chipset nVidia nForce 550

PSU - 500 Watt power supply

I am going to upgrade all of my components except for the graphics card which I just bought recently. I am thinking of going for an SLI mother board so I can SLI with another card like mine, however I do not think i would be able to afford it. I have searched around new egg and found these deals, any suggestions?

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.643117

2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.643115

deadpool405

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
thanks for the information, that link helps a lot! Is the difference in DDR2 and DDR3 important enough for me to go with one of the combos I listed, or will the first motherboard be ok for gaming?

I edited my post from earlier to only include the 2 quad core processors, thinking of going that route instead of the first mobo I found.

That is kind of a vague question? I don't know what kind of games you play or your budget. I do know that most newer games run better on a quad core than older dual cores. for gaming, you want a CPU around 3Ghz or faster, especially if you SLI. The faster the CPU, the faster (and more) the data it can throw at your vid card.

deadpool405

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Sorry, I play mostly FPS and a little Champions Online. I am currently playing Crysis 2 with my current configuration, only problem I am having is my PSU will shut the PC off after an hour of play, so I am going to replace it also. My budget right now is around $200, which is why I am looking at the 2 combos, but I will have to also get DDR3 RAM since I only have DDR2. So I plan on getting one of the combos and some DDR3 RAM and then a PSU in a week or two when I get paid again.

Both are budget boards, so if you plan to OC, don't expect much. Only one board has SLI, so if that is a factor, then you have only one choice. Note that the SLI is (x16, x4) instead of (x16, x16) so if you do SLI, you won't get maximum performance. Both boards being roughly equivalent, I'd say SLI is your deciding factor.