Format disk array

G

Hello all,

I am trying to format a 320 GB disk drive as single storage that was once used on a motherboard as a Raid 0 array. I can format the disk drive as NTFS via a USB cable, but when I try and connect the drive internally on the motherboard, the computer does not see it. When I go to disk managment to try and initialize hhe drive, it list the drive as a array and gives me an error. I have tried this a couple times and am at a loss as to hoe to get rid of the "Array" name disk managment says it is.

Any help appreciated in advance,

Joe
Windows 7 64 bit home premium.

Because the drive was used in a Raid 0 it has been set up as a raid drive so that rquires you to unset it or cancel the raid format that the drive has been set to. When the original Raid was taken apart there should have been a dissasembling of the Raid through the Raid bios.
What I would try to do is to have the drive connected and only that drive, for now disconnect the OS drive and start the computer. Right after the bios flash screen press control I to enter thre raid bios and once in there you will see some options and you want to select the one that says "Reset Disks to non-Raid" and then save and exit. Once this is done you can shut down and reconnect the OS drive and now you should be able to use the drive normally. I had suggested disconnecting the OS drive so that nothing happens to that drive whils doing this.

G

Yes, I re-formatted the drive in NTFS, the computer sees the drive when it is connected via USB, but when connected internally to the motherboard, it doesn't. Disk managment tries to initialize it, but sees it as an Array and won't initialize, I think the error was cannot open file (boot record or something?).

It would help if you had both drives that were used in the original Raid but for now you should try and just get into the bios of the drive and if you just have the one drive that's kind of why I had sugge4sted to disconnect the OS drive so it's not included in the process by the raid bios wanting to see two drives.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I pulled a drive out of a raid array that was formatted ZFS2 from a FreeBSD NAS. Win7 wouldn't format it, said it was not Linux format, or something like that. I had to use a Server2008 install disk to format the drive to NTFS to use it to backup a Windows .iso. It was very annoying.

G

Thanks, I will definitely give that a try this evening.

J