Sign in with
Your question

Dvd rom wont read discs how do i reinstall O/S

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 2, 2010 8:08:17 PM

Hello,
i have a hp dv 2718us. Im having issues wth my DVD rom. It will eject CDs and everything but it wont read them and it doesnt recognize the drive meaning its not seeing it. Its not listed the drive in the device manager either. Im trying to install windows again and this is putting a huge wrench in my plans.
October 2, 2010 9:01:17 PM

CD/DVD drive works, but is not being seen in BIOS? Or just not in Windows?

Is it a SATA or IDE optical drive? BIOS setting correct?

Some optical drives won't work in ACHI mode, only in IDE mode in the BIOS. But this could crap out your current hard drives if you change it.

Is it on a different drive controller, so you can try IDE? What motherboard do you have? This could help me help you.
m
l
October 2, 2010 9:11:52 PM

if installing a new drive is no option i would install windows tru USBdrive
any usb stick more than 8gb would do the trick
m
l
Related resources
October 4, 2010 8:22:37 PM

Quote:
Hello,
i have a hp dv 2718us. Im having issues wth my DVD rom. It will eject CDs and everything but it wont read them and it doesnt recognize the drive meaning its not seeing it. Its not listed the drive in the device manager either. Im trying to install windows again and this is putting a huge wrench in my plans.

ok here is something to try, since it powers on and ejects to load the disc but is not showing up in the device manager maybe the firmware is bad. Either replace the drive or go get a usb external drive they are around 40-50 dollars then hit f2 to enter the bios and boot from removable device and that should allow you to load your OS disc.
m
l
a b α HP
October 5, 2010 12:19:53 AM

Why not reinstall from your recovery partition? I beleive you press f12 at boot to access it.
m
l
!