Sign in with
Your question

External hard drive cloning

Last response: in CPUs
October 3, 2010 2:02:21 AM

Using Acronis True Image Home 2010, I cloned my main hard drive, which included the vita o/s onto an external hard drive. When I view the external hard drive in computer managemnent, it does not say that the external drive is bootable, how can I get my computer to recognise this as a bootable drive and boot from it?
October 3, 2010 2:16:17 AM

sorry, forgot to mention, external hard drive is partitioned.
a c 99 à CPUs
October 3, 2010 2:32:30 AM

simmy said:
Using Acronis True Image Home 2010, I cloned my main hard drive, which included the vita o/s onto an external hard drive. When I view the external hard drive in computer managemnent, it does not say that the external drive is bootable, how can I get my computer to recognise this as a bootable drive and boot from it?

You will need to use a disk partitioning program to toggle the bootable flag on external drive's partition. Fdisk should do the trick if I remember correctly. After you do that, you will need to go into your machine's BIOS and tell it to put the external drive ahead of the internal drive in the boot order (e.g. USB HDD ahead of SATA HDD.) Then when you plug the external HDD into the computer and turn it on, it should boot from the external HDD instead of the internal one.
Related resources
October 3, 2010 2:34:24 AM

sorry to be thick, but how do you use Fdisk?
October 3, 2010 2:52:23 AM

This is for older computer systems surely? this is why computer management was invented for the new windows systems. Also Fdisk is not recognised at the command prompt.
a c 99 à CPUs
October 3, 2010 12:49:37 PM

simmy said:
This is for older computer systems surely? this is why computer management was invented for the new windows systems. Also Fdisk is not recognised at the command prompt.

The instructions on the Microsoft website say to create a boot diskette and run fdisk from there. You would not want to repartition an actively-used HDD, which may be why you can't get to fdisk from the command prompt.

If it were me doing the job, I'd boot a live Linux CD and use the Linux fdisk to toggle the flag, since I know it can easily do the job. You would just open fdisk from the terminal and hit "a" to mark a partition as bootable. I have not used any Windows beyond XP extensively, so if there's something new in the management console in Vista or 7, I am probably not aware of it.
October 4, 2010 2:32:09 AM

how do you get a live Linux CD?
a c 99 à CPUs
October 4, 2010 11:31:23 AM

simmy said:
how do you get a live Linux CD?

The best way is to go to the Ubuntu Linux website and download the normal desktop CD/DVD. The Ubuntu Linux live CD or DVD is one of the better live CDs out there.
!