Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Current set up:

Kingwin 1000w PSU powering:
X6 1055T
2 GTX 460's
2 SSDs, 1 HDD
6 case fans (~1500 RPM)

No power problems with the above. I recently order this beast of a fan to replace the back exhaust (mostly just to see what it could do, knowing that I probably wouldn't put up with the noise eventually). Snapped in the molex with the computer live so I could spy on the temps in real time, only to find my keyboard and mouse stopped working properly (or not at all) a few seconds later. Unplugging it for a while saw things back to normal, while plugging it back in again caused mouse and keyboard failure once more. This was my first build a few months ago so I'm not that knowledgeable, but I can only imagine this is a power related problem considering how powerful the fan is. I like to think I would be seeing symptoms far earlier if adding what seems like 30 or so watts to the system would lead to this, so my only guess is that it's voltage related.

So, I end up reading a bunch of stuff about the 12v rail and whatnot, but an electrical engineer I clearly am not. I am on the right track? Any insight into the matter? Anyone experience a similar situation? Does anyone else find it quite amusing that a jet-engine of a case fan might be overdrawing my system?

metaphist

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
I figured as much. I was trying to save space by using one modular plug for as much as possible, and this fan fills up the last connection on it. Trying it on it's own plug was the next step I thought I'd take, and from all the advice so far that should do it.

I'll report back later.

metaphist

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
So far, regardless of what modular plug I'm using, I can only run the beast fan by itself with no other fans, and even then there's slight system lag every now and then. Just plugging in one other fan starts the real problems.

So for now I'm stumped, but I'll try it again later today when my fan controller comes in, seeing if I can drop it down to a lower voltage.