Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sapphire 5770 Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 22, 2010 6:16:53 PM

I will get the Sapphire 5770 for about $160 without tax soon. And i am thinking if it will max new games like Call of Duty Black Ops and such on a resolution of 1600x900.
Also does brand really matter. Because a "Power Color" 5770 costs about 20 dollars less but looks much worse.

More about : sapphire 5770 question

Best solution

June 22, 2010 6:24:53 PM

At that resolution, a 5770 should indeed be able to max most titles with decent framerates.

Brand in general won't effect the performance of a card out of the box (unless it is an overclocked model) but but the differences can boiled down to a few notable things:

Some brands are believed to buy higher binned parts than other brands, which can allow them to release factory overclock models, or at least gain a reputation for having an overclockable product. Powercolor, in general, doesn't carry the best reputation for performance use.

Different brands offer different cooling solutions. At first, all cards carry reference cooling and are pretty much the same. Once the non-reference cooling is out in the market, the gaps between quality and price appear. Brands with better cooling (Sapphire Vapor-X, HIS IceQ, MSI Hawk for a coupel examples) will provide you with a product that should run cooler, quieter, and have more headroom for Overclocking, provided you have good case ventilation. Usually non-reference cards blow their heat out into the case, where as reference units usually vent it out the back.

Some brands offer better warranties than others. XFX has double lifetime warranty in the US/Canada, increasing the resale value of the card, since the second owner also gets a full lifetime warranty. BUT, some people believe XFX uses cheaper, lower binned GPUs to be able to afford this type of warranty coverage. Sapphire offers a 2 year warranty, but from personal experience and a general anecdotal observance through the forums, Sapphire products rarely require warranty service. Get a few brands you have in mind and do some google sleuthing to see if any common issues arise.

If you have no intention to overclock, then the cheapest one from a good brand is recommended. I personally like Sapphire, FX and Asus branded cards. That is my own choice. I have a friend that swears by Powercolor regardless of the reputation they have. It all depends on the feeling you get and which brands you feel comfortable with. Research is your friend.
June 22, 2010 7:45:49 PM

The 5770 card preforms very well for the price bracket that its in. From the people that i know who have these cards are very happy with them and when they feel like they need to get more out of the card they buy another one and get performances between 5850 and 5870, pending on the overclock they do to it.

Now on to companies. Like said before XFX has always been a brand that one of my good friend always buys because of the resell value of them. Asus and MSI are all good brands that i've dealt with in different forms, MSI motherboard before the Asus one that i have now. I've never had an issue with them and honestly when i have had to call about a tech issue i've gotten a good and fast response.

My graphics cards for the last 2 generations have been Sapphire cards (2900xt and CF 4850's 512mb version) I've never had an issue with them. If the option came to it i would go with a vapor-x sapphire card because of the extra time put into the aftermarket cooler on it.
m
l
Related resources
June 23, 2010 3:25:07 AM

Best answer selected by crazy359.
m
l
June 23, 2010 3:26:57 AM

At the moment I have a Sapphire 3870 and no problems. Except that it reaches about 100 degrees in WoW and BC2 and some other games.
m
l
June 23, 2010 2:16:06 PM

crazy359 said:
At the moment I have a Sapphire 3870 and no problems. Except that it reaches about 100 degrees in WoW and BC2 and some other games.

What kind of case ventilation do you have? 100c really is too high, even if it is below the damage threshold (barely).
m
l
June 24, 2010 1:12:37 AM

I got a coolermaster elite 310 case. with 3 fans. front side and back.
the side one is somewhat slow for some reason. I just know for a fact that the 3870 heats up alot.
m
l
June 24, 2010 9:34:36 AM

Be sure that side fan is an exhaust and not an intake. I have an elite 330 case, very similar, and I run 3 fans (cutout my side panel to fit a 120mm). If I run the side fan as an intake, my whole case gets hot. If it run it as an exhaust, everything is dandy.
m
l
June 25, 2010 9:57:10 PM

JofaMang said:
Be sure that side fan is an exhaust and not an intake. I have an elite 330 case, very similar, and I run 3 fans (cutout my side panel to fit a 120mm). If I run the side fan as an intake, my whole case gets hot. If it run it as an exhaust, everything is dandy.

Thx i will actually try that
m
l
!