Stu

Hello all.

Running first (old) UT GOTY. Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz cpu, 512 mb ram, 120
gig HDD, Windows 98SE.

Despite this amount of resources, in the UT directory I always find
many files named "Cache0000.tmp, Cache0001.tmp" and so on. Sometimes
dozens if not hundreds of the them. Most are date/time stamped just
minutes apart. They are anywhere from 100K to several MB in size.

I have my system cache (pagefile) set to 512MB as well. Both lower
and upper limit the same to stop Windows thrashing the HDD.

Anyone else seen this? I have to remember to go and delete these files
on occasion. Any way to stop it?

TIA.

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:20:55 -0700, stu wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> Running first (old) UT GOTY. Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz cpu, 512 mb ram, 120 gig
> HDD, Windows 98SE.
>
> Despite this amount of resources, in the UT directory I always find many
> files named "Cache0000.tmp, Cache0001.tmp" and so on. Sometimes dozens if
> not hundreds of the them. Most are date/time stamped just minutes apart.
> They are anywhere from 100K to several MB in size.
>
> I have my system cache (pagefile) set to 512MB as well. Both lower and
> upper limit the same to stop Windows thrashing the HDD.
>
> Anyone else seen this? I have to remember to go and delete these files on
> occasion. Any way to stop it?
>
> TIA.

Hi Stu,

Those are partially downloaded files (maps, textures...etc.) from the
servers you've visited. It's normal operation and they are nothing to
worry about nor are they of any use. Just delete them when you feel like
it.

--
{AGUT}DeadMan

stu@dent.com Blessed us with

> Hello all.

[Snip]

> Despite this amount of resources, in the UT directory I always
> find many files named "Cache0000.tmp, Cache0001.tmp" and so on.
> Sometimes dozens if not hundreds of the them. Most are date/time
> stamped just minutes apart. They are anywhere from 100K to
> several MB in size.

Yes, these are cache files. When you go online to play and you don't
have a file the server makes you download it. When the game
downloads a file it is first stored in the UnrealTournament folder
with a cache+number name and a .tmp extention. After the file is
completely downloaded the game copies the file to the Cache folder
with the correct name.

[Snip]

> Anyone else seen this? I have to remember to go and delete these
> files on occasion. Any way to stop it?

Yes, this is normal, and everyone that plays UT has this happen.
It's perfectly safe after you are done playing to delete the .tmp
files. There is no way to stop this from happening I don't believe.
Just remember to delete them every so often especially if you have
limited HDD space like maybe 4 gigabytes or less. You can create
a DOS batch file that will delete all *.tmp files from your UT folder
but I don't remember all of the parameters for the DOS delete
command. I think there are parameters like confirm deletion which
you can override and the delete command will then delete without
confirmation. After you have written the batch file you can put
it in your start up folder (I think Win98se has a start up folder)
under the start button > programs > start up and the file will
delete all .tmp files everytime you reboot your computer. Ah!
here it is. I found the delete command. Type this into a text
file and save it with a .bat extention.

Echo off
del C:\UnrealTournament\*.tmp

You may have to replace the C: with the letter of your HDD and change
the path to your Unreal Tournament folder accordingly and *.tmp just
means to delete everyfile in that folder with a .tmp extension. Move
this .bat file which you can name anything you want like Deltmp.bat
or whatever into your start up folder and you will never have to
worry about those .tmp files again.

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

stu@dent.com Blessed us with

Baaaaah! I wrote it wrong! It's been a while since I
messed with DOS. Type this into a text file and save it as
anythingyouwanttocallit.bat

@Echo off
Del C:\UnrealTournament\*.tmp

Move it into the start button > Programs > Start up folder.
Right click the bat file > properties, then find the Program
tab. On the Program tab look for a check box labeled Close on
exit and check it > click apply. It should make another file
with a .pif extention. This is normal. Just leave it in the
start up folder too.

On 25 Jul 2004 19:20:01 GMT, JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote:
>stu@dent.com Blessed us with
>@Echo off
>Del C:\UnrealTournament\*.tmp

I feel it is shame that UT doesn't clean up its mess when its ".exe"
exits. Kinda' sloppy really.

I use UT Cache Cleaner. I might email the guy who wrote it and see if
"clean-up" could be added as a feature. But for now, a batch file it
is.

Thanks to you and Deadman for the advice. :)