Sign in with
Your question

AMD CPUs + Gaming... Any Issues?

Last response: in CPUs
October 3, 2010 5:35:39 AM

It's a noob question. I've only ever owned Intel computers, to my shame. I'm trying to find out how stable they are in comparison to Intel chips because I've been reading around (for weeks, literally). I've come across a few things, such as some games refusing to run without an Intel chip (read this about Diablo :-/), and a more recent issue with Dragon Age: Origins where the game's FPS and loading times were atrocious do to the chip's architecture. I'm just wondering, any AMD CPU owners, could you fill me in honestly, tell me if you've had issues with any games, old or new. The only old games I would think to play again would be the Baldur's Gate series, Vampire the Masquerade (Redemption or Bloodlines, I like them both) and perhaps the Civ games when I can tolerate the godforsaken cheating AI...

More about : amd cpus gaming issues

October 3, 2010 5:40:56 AM

jwburks1976 said:
It's a noob question. I've only ever owned Intel computers, to my shame. I'm trying to find out how stable they are in comparison to Intel chips because I've been reading around (for weeks, literally). I've come across a few things, such as some games refusing to run without an Intel chip (read this about Diablo :-/), and a more recent issue with Dragon Age: Origins where the game's FPS and loading times were atrocious do to the chip's architecture. I'm just wondering, any AMD CPU owners, could you fill me in honestly, tell me if you've had issues with any games, old or new. The only old games I would think to play again would be the Baldur's Gate series, Vampire the Masquerade (Redemption or Bloodlines, I like them both) and perhaps the Civ games when I can tolerate the godforsaken cheating AI...

All my older games work perfectly fine on my Athlon X4. Intel and AMD chips both have their strenghts and weaknesses and some things run better on one brand than the other. But not so much that its unplayable on the other.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2010 5:51:10 AM

I can't imagine a CPU having any appreciable impact on loading times given that it spends 95% of its clock cycles waiting for the HDD to find the data.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2010 6:14:24 AM

Oh yes, if you buy an older Phenom and have the TLB patch applied in your BIOS (any new BIOS probably will have it) you may have severely degraded performance. This was a stupid move to prevent an error that only occurred under particular workloads but which was hyped up as the biggest CPU problem in the last decade. The fix corrected the original problem (the one which you would probably never run into unless in an Enterprise environment) but sacrificed performance across the board.

Then came Phenom II, and all was well with the world. No overhyped TLB bugs, no stupid patches. Of course it's still riddled with bugs of other kinds, but so are Intel's chips. Both manufacturers publish documents showing all the known bugs, and there are hundreds of them, but most can only be triggered in specific conditions under extreme lab testing. The few that may be reproduced by the user are often worked around by BIOS or OS patches.
m
l
!