Sign in with
Your question

CPU Overheating

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 3, 2010 7:05:42 AM

Hi there,
I am having an overheating problem with my PC. After some use, my PC shuts down with no warning.

Temperture's in the BIOS read 90+ degrees celcius (sometimes reading into the 100's) so I have isolated that this the reason for the shutdowns.

PC Specs are as Follows:

Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model G31M-ES2L
Version x.x

North Bridge Intel P35/G33/G31 Revision 10
South Bridge Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) Revision 10

CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Cpu Socket Socket 775 LGA

2GB Memory
Onboard Graphics
80GB HDD
Windows Xp Pro SP3

I have checked that the CPU is seated properly, cleaned and remounted the CPU heat sync, cleaned and reaplied thermal grease with no luck. Interstingly though, where as the BIOS reads temps as 90+, Speed Fan reads the CPU as 70 degrees celcius but still the PC shutsdown. I have even underclocked the CPU from 3Ghz to 2Ghz and it still reads as 90+ in the BIOS and 70+ in Speed Fan.

Any ideas as to what may be causing the extreme temperatures? Do I need to replace my CPU or Motherboard?

Thanks in advance,
Headly.

More about : cpu overheating

a b à CPUs
October 3, 2010 7:24:02 AM

I take it you have the intel stock cooler fitted on top of your cpu.
If so these sometimes have a problem with the push pins not latching right to the underside of the motherboard through the holes. if they all do not latch properly you get a corner that lifts. That is why your heat is 90+
Listen for a double click on each pin when pushing down.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2010 7:59:16 AM

If you can see the back of your mobo, make sure that the stock coolers white pins are grabbing the back of the mobo, pushed out by the black pin. Alternatively, grab the cooler and try to rock it, ie, lift each of its 4 legs. It must not "rock" at all.

Presumably you removed the plastic that originally covered the base of the heat sink.

Please use CPUID Hardware Monitor to report your temps. It gives us a consistency here that Speedfan does not.

m
l
Related resources
October 5, 2010 5:07:43 AM

Quote:
1.) update BIOS blow-out and clean out case.
2.) check heatsink placement and fittings, clean heatsink and re-apply thermal compound with AS5 or better.
3.) add case fan even if 5.25" bay case fan
4.) get off on-board graphics and get add-in card
5.) time to look for new system if possible.!!

Hey and thanks for your reply. I have checked the heatsink fittings and blown all the dust out of the case. I have re-aplied my thermal paste and the case already has an exhaust fan and the ambient temperature sits at about 30 degrees celcius. After all the maintenance and cleaning I still am getting these extreme temperatures, so it would appear to be a faulty CPU... Unless you have any other ideas?

Cheers,
Headly.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2010 5:37:33 AM

I'd clear CMOS and restore default settings. Its possible some voltage setting or other issue is causing the heat.

Is there any program on your system that can auto-OC? If so, disable it please.

I know you've checked your heat sink again and again. But if you grab the cpu heatsink/fan and gently but firmly try to rock it, does it move at all?
m
l
!