bradhchen

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Hi guys,
Will it work if I have an OCZ Vertex 4 as a boot drive, and an Intel 520 60 GB as a SSD Cache? If so, how do I set this up?
Thanks

Solution
The whole purpose of a SSD cache drive is if you have a lot of large files that you are accessing and moving large amounts of data between the primary and secondary hard drive then the cachs makes sense but for everyday use there really isn't much benefit to using a SSD cache drive for a secondary hard drive.
Do you already have these SSD drives or are you thinking of buying them? What size is the OCZ drive?

penclrtist

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
I am definitely no expert but I've been reading up on it...
1) Vertex 4's main benefit is in its write speed using that as a read (OS) drive is probably a waste of its performance
2) You can have a SSD as a boot and you can use the other to cache ONE other mechanical HD or HD array (using a SSD to cache another SSD is pointless)

There is a good article dealing mostly with the cache software here:
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/133637-cache-of-the-titans-ssd-storage-accelerators-from-intel-and-corsair-face-off

bradhchen

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

Woops, forgot to add that I'm using a Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB

The whole purpose of a SSD cache drive is if you have a lot of large files that you are accessing and moving large amounts of data between the primary and secondary hard drive then the cachs makes sense but for everyday use there really isn't much benefit to using a SSD cache drive for a secondary hard drive.
Do you already have these SSD drives or are you thinking of buying them? What size is the OCZ drive?

Solution

bradhchen

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

I just realized that I won't have the budget for a cache drive! Thanks anyways!