Sign in with
Your question

Recommended AGP Graphic Card w/ ASUS P4T

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 22, 2010 7:05:08 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for assistance in searching for a compatible AGP video card that has a high performance in a budget of $50 to $150. Upon all the research I have come to a rough conclusion of purchasing one of the following cards:

1) HIS Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready IceQ 3 Turbo Video Card
2) SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready Video Card
3) SAPPHIRE 100175L Radeon X1650PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card

I am currently running a Radeon 9550 256MB and I am not satisfied in its performance in any of the games I install in it besides Red Alert 2. I am just looking to add this computer for older LAN games such as Battlefield 1942, Serious Sam Second Encounter, Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour, Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars, Need for Speed: Most Wanted and so forth. I do have another old computer with the SAPPHIRE Radeon X1650PRO 512MB graphic card that runs pretty well with those games but before investing in the same card I am interested in finding out if there is another AGP card that runs better in performance and is compitable with the motherboard.

You can find the specification to the motherboard at this site: http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/reviews/mainboards/asus_p4t/4.shtml

Any help is gladly appreciated in choosing a graphic card provided above or finding a better one! I just want to make sure that I don't invest in a graphic card that ends up being bottlenecked by my CPU. Thanks for all the help..

George
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2010 7:57:09 PM

Imo, AGP is dead. For $150 you can get a new board + CPU + RAM.

Anyways, as far as 3850 vs X1600 the 3850 wins hands down.
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
June 22, 2010 8:48:24 PM

^ I wouldn't say "much better". Still the 4670 generally is slightly better than a 3850 in terms of performance, at least the full speed 512MB version is. There are a few cases where the 3850 pulls ahead of the 4670 512MB simply due to the memory bandwidth. Anyway.....

You have a Socket 423 motherboard. That means the best you can do as far as the CPU is about 2.0GHz P4 I believe. With an old CPU like that, and low FSB, even a Radeon 3850 or 4670 AGP would be significantly held back. I say a Radeon 3650 would be a better fit for you, and cheaper. A 4650 would also provide similar performance for you. Paying for anything more than that is pointless with that old system.

June 22, 2010 10:14:14 PM

@shadow70379: Yea, I would personally invest a new computer myself but I'm hoping that I could milk this PC for all its got with the older games. Anything new I would turn to a new PC. I'm also pretty outdated in computer knowledge and not sure what would be affordable and recommended in terms of building a new PC.

@dirtmountain: I was definitely looking into the 4650 or the 4670 but though to myself that the computer would not handle it to its full capacity so decided to stick with the 3850 instead. Thanks for the info.

@megamanx00: You are correct. The current processor is a P4 2.0GHz. I will consider the 3650 as well. Thanks for giving me the options to choose a variety of cards to maintain the computer for another year or so. Is there any brand in specific you would recommend such as Visiontek, Powercolor, Sapphire etc of the 3650 version?
a c 106 U Graphics card
June 22, 2010 11:18:56 PM

Given the option I say Sapphire, simply because it seems you may have better luck on the driver side. The worst thing about AGP Radeon cards are the drivers. Considering the AGP cards are not official in the first place you may need to search the net for solutions if you run into any problems. Just from the posts I've seen the power colors seem more problematic, but maybe they just sell more of them. I have a 1950GT AGP on my old Athlon 3000+ system and drivers can be a pain with that one :D .
!