Trouble with new ssd+hdd Win7x64 install

G

I have an issue getting a new Samsung 830 SSD 128Gb and my Samsung spinpoint F3 to work with a clean install of Windows 7 64bit on my SSD. I am on a Biostar TZ77XE4 motherboard and I have read the manual to enable AHCI in BIOS before the install but I couldn't get Windows to function properly(BSOD, wouldn't install drivers and Win Updates failed). I tried to reinstall again but Windows started to error during the install when it got to the "Expanding Files" part between 1-2 %. The errors were "Some Windows files are missing. Please check you have all the files and start the install again" and secondly "A partition could not be created on the disk"

I sent the ssd back and will get a replacement, but I wonder if my motherboard is the issue. In the manual I have 4 Sata III and 4 Sata II ports, But does not say which ones are which. I can kinda guess that Sata 1U and 1L along with Sata 4U and 4L(4U & 4L are third party) are my SATA III. But I also have trouble that the AHCI function is listed in the manual as supported by the 4U and 4L ports but not any others, just RAID's and Intel SRT. Yet I can enable either the Intel or the 3rd party controllers to AHCI in the BIOS??? But later on in the manual it says that AHCI in Windows 7 requires a driver off the Support CD to be installed during os install, but it never asked me for it when windows did install the first time.

To go on, for some reason Windows would not install properly and function as normal. note: I did have the ssd+hdd plugged into Sata 1U and 1L. Do I need that driver for AHCI? Is my mother board a problem for the SSD+HDD setup? What should I do to install windows when I get my replacement ssd? I am kinda confused. Thanks for understanding.

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Leave the hard drive disconnected untill operating system is installed. Connect the SSD to Sata1-U, you have to coppy the AHCI files to a USB device before installing operating system just like if you were going to install RAID files right at the begining of the operating system install, when you press F6, that is when you install the AHCI files, after that is complete then you can install the operating system. Read page 21 of your manual, if you are not sure on how to do this step contact Biostar. After all operating system and drivers are installed then you can connect the hard drive to Sata 1-L, but before you load any software on to that drive you should change that drive letter to D, you can do a search on how to do that for windows7

G

Connect the SSD to Sata1-U, you have to coppy the AHCI files to a USB device before installing operating system just like if you were going to install RAID files right at the begining of the operating system install, when you press F6, that is when you install the AHCI files, after that is complete then you can install the operating system. Read page 21 of your manual, if you are not sure on how to do this step contact Biostar.

I have the files on a USB at this time. I went to the disc location the manual gave me and ran the setup file which copied the files to the USB. When I boot the computer should I press 'F6' at Post to install those drivers? And Then run the Windows Installation CD?

After all operating system and drivers are installed then you can connect the hard drive to Sata 1-L, but before you load any software on to that drive you should change that drive letter to D, you can do a search on how to do that for windows7

Should I format that disk after connecting it as well as changing it's drive letter? According to Samsung support He said that I would need to format the storage HDD, using disk management, because I couldn't see it in "My Computer". < <(That is when I installed windows improperly and I called support.)

I think I almost got what I need to do this. Just help with these couple questions above. Thanks.