Sign in with
Your question

Video Rendering/Editing

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 3, 2010 8:49:32 AM

My old cpu burned out (dual @ 2.6) so i figured it's time to upgrade...now deciding between 4 cpu's but cant decide what's going to be the best

1) Phenom II X4 970 (@3.5) $190
2) AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (@2.8) $210
3) Intel Core i5-760 (@2.8) $212

and an iffy 4th
4) Intel Core i7-930 (@2.8) $280

now between the first 3...whats the best? for the price jump...how much better would an i7 be?

Thanks guys
a c 110 à CPUs
October 3, 2010 11:39:29 AM

You are going to see a substantial increase in performance either way you go.

Where are you going to purchase your hardware (a link would be nice)?
Are you going to reuse any of your current hardware?
Do you overclock?
What else do yah do (any gaming, graphics or 3d modeling ...) ?
Will you be purchasing a new operating system?

m
l
October 3, 2010 11:29:41 PM

Wisecracker said:
You are going to see a substantial increase in performance either way you go.

Where are you going to purchase your hardware (a link would be nice)?
Are you going to reuse any of your current hardware?
Do you overclock?
What else do yah do (any gaming, graphics or 3d modeling ...) ?
Will you be purchasing a new operating system?

Newegg.ca (or any canadian place cheaper)
My Mobo is pretty old and i doubt it will handle these new chipsets so ill need to get a new one aswell
Not gonna be overclocking
Alot of gaming
Nope

Thanks in advance guys
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 9:56:52 AM

For video editing, I would lean towards the x6.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 10:09:10 AM

If its just video editing, then yes the X6 would be the one. If you want to game and do video editing then is suggest the i7.

Although the X6 is not that bad for gaming.
m
l
a c 110 à CPUs
October 4, 2010 1:14:22 PM

Sometimes combining 'video editing' and gaming works against one another. If you can re-use an HDD (or two) that would help you a bunch with your video editing performance. Probably should wait a few weeks on your video card(s) if that is part of your purchase and see how the new Radeons effect the landscape.

Here is an X6 combo with mobo, cpu, ram & SSD for $513CAN after rebates. Here is an x6 combo with x8x8 Crossfire mobo for $337.

On the Intel side: i5 750 & Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 for $339

Looks hard to top the Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB for $64.

Your standard setup should be: HDD(1): OS/Apps :: HDD(2): Capture :: HDD(3): Output

Using that SSD to feed the capture/output hard drives is :bounce: 

Tough call for you on the OC front --- if that is the case you may want to consider an Athlon quad because the 'other stuff' (HDDs, video cards, more RAMs) will help you overall more so than anything if you are on somewhat of a budget. Video editing and encoding for the most part is measured in 'hours,' and a few minutes either way just don't make that big of deal.

The reason to choose the $200+ CPUs is in their OC headroom to 'unlock' that free performance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 2:08:49 PM

What software are you using for your video editing, and how intensive is your video stuff?

Unless you're doing simple stuff, I'd strongly lean towards the Intel stuff.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 2:38:35 PM

Quote:
it's actually a hard call to make.
x6 vs i5...?
don't be so quick to judge..

Well I was actually going to suggest i7 if the OP's video work is top-end stuff based on the comparative performance of a number of Core 2, Core i5, Core i7, Phenom II X4 and Phenom II X6 edit systems I have built for the office, friends and freelance clients.

And this entire discussion is moot if the OP's using Premiere CS5! CUDA-acceleration baby!
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 2:38:45 PM

As i said, if its a very mixed task set, like gaming, editing and movies and other stuff i would also lean toward the Intel.

But i am not quite sure how many cores these video editing/processing apps are actually made to use. Like games we all know are now capable of using 3 cores. Do they actually make use of all the six cores? The softwares normally don't say how many they use in "Requirement" list. Its the OP's call now. AMD's 6 vs. Intel's 4!!! :) 

m
l
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 3:19:45 PM

^^ malmental:

This is what I was ultimately getting at. As hell_storm says, it's tricky to mix both functions into a single system (as I've commented on in the recent $2,000 Tom's builder system), but a Core i7 930 (or 950 as it's cheap now) with 2 GTX 460s in SLI will do the job wonderfully, especially with Adobe CS5.

Hell, a single GTX 460 will handle most games at high settings, especially if you grab one of these 2GB versions from Palit or Gainward.

But this is quite an expensive system, so without overall budget to go on it's kinda shooting in the dark.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 3:22:19 PM

Also the OP is missing for quite a while now! :p 
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2010 3:31:42 PM

hell_storm2004 said:

Just over 24 hours, maybe the OP actually has a life. :whistle: 
m
l
October 4, 2010 8:57:22 PM

hell_storm2004 said:

work...yuck

anyways...ive decided to go with the i7 950...might aswell spend those few extra pennies now and not regret it in the long run

Thanks guys
m
l
October 4, 2010 8:58:58 PM

ohh, while im at it, since ill need to pick one up....what mobo should i grab with it?

might sli in the future...
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2010 1:13:06 PM

GIGABYTE GA X58A UD3R.The isn't a better motherboard than that at the moment for 200$.
m
l
!