Sign in with
Your question

Dell Vostro 410 Power Supply upgrade. Help?

Last response: in Components
October 3, 2010 9:39:13 AM

Hello, I've worked in the summer break just to earn some money from which I could upgrade my graphics card (Gigabyte's GTX460 1GB) for which I need to upgrade my PSU.

It comes down to this: I'm confused. I have found people on the internet that say that the power supply is propriety or something so I can't change it.
Other people said that it would be no problem to put a normal ATX PS in it because they stopped doing propriety Power supplies in the Pentium III days.

Now, what should I believe? I opened my case to find out that some weird metal things in my case hold the PS in place or something. Like 2 little 'hills' or something. The size up to those 'hills' (don't know what to call it) is 140 mm with a height of 85mm. Now, not looking at those hills it could be 150mm (which nearly all power supplies are!)

The mobo is a Foxconn DG33A01. With a 24pin connector.

If you know anything about this, please help me out. I'm worried now. When I bought this PC 2 years ago it said that it was good for later upgrades.

So, yeah. Please help! :/ 
October 3, 2010 12:23:26 PM

delluser1 said:
Pretty much any standard ATX power supply will work.
Act quick and you can still catch the deal on this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Okay but what about the sizes? any power supply nowadays are like 150mm long, and I think there's only space for 140mm? There's loads of space after those 2 metal 'bumps' I mentioned. Should I simply get a saw and chop it off? Or what? xD

Quote:
to be honest, it might just work.
the vostro psu is rated at 350watts, but it is noted that the dell psu's are under-rated.
it's basically a known fact about them.
the gtx460 calls for a 450watt supply. so unless you have upgraded you cpu to a more power consuming cpu, i would give it a try.
now with that being said, Corsair makes awesome power supplies and ones to fit your vostro case.

I don't know, I'm afraid of taking risks :p 

Related resources
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2010 12:30:18 PM

The "bumps" won't be a problem. They are clips meant to hold the stock psu but will easily push out of the way for installation of an aftermarket unit.

Dell power supplies are not under-rated, that's a notion that came about due to them being rated properly, by max continuous output, not peak output like many generic psu's.
October 3, 2010 12:40:43 PM

delluser1 said:
The "bumps" won't be a problem. They are clips meant to hold the stock psu but will easily push out of the way for installation of an aftermarket unit.

Dell power supplies are not under-rated, that's a notion that came about due to them being rated properly, by max continuous output, not peak output like many generic psu's.

Okay :) 
Thank you so much, sir. You've made my day. ^^
October 3, 2010 12:44:35 PM

Quote:
i've tried many times to fry different dell psu's.
i mean totally abuse them to see exactly what they can handle.
as far as I'm concerned, they're under-rated and by your explanation,
" Dell power supplies are not under-rated, that's a notion that came about due to them being rated properly, by max continuous output, not peak output like many generic psu's. "
to some people they can construe that we're basically saying the same thing in different ways.
fellow dell guy.!

'bumps' will not be an issue as - delluser1 states.

Ty =)
!