Finding an appropriately-sized heatsink for my xps 430 mini-tower

soknar

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I have an XPS 430 tower. Some sites have been referring them to mini-towers, but I guess that might be another term for medium-sized tower? Anyways, I purchased a HD 5850 1mb ram card for it. When I opened the package, I realized that it was a very long and thick card. However, I had plenty of room to stick this in.

More recently, I realized that the full potential of the card was held back due to my processor. I have this older quadcore 2.5ghz processor, thus the card won't do anything spectacular for me. I get 30-40 fps at best in World of Warcraft which is low even with maxed settings. Anyways, I decided to purchase an I7 950 because it seems to be a great processor for gaming. I'm not sure if the I5 750 performs just as well for gaming, but I decided to go with the other.

For a mini-tower (AKA Medium-sized tower), what size heatsink will it allow? I've noticed that there are i7-supported heatsinks generally 120mm in size, but there is 92mm heatsink from newegg.com.

Note: The DELL XPS series seems to come with a shroud of some sort. I'm not sure if that's true or changes anything, but I'd like to know how that will affect my installing a heatsink as well.