Crack in laptop screen

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
November 21, 2004 1:02:10 AM

A crack has appeared tonight in the screen of my AJP laptop (top right hand
corner running diagonally for a couple of inches)

No pixels are damaged and the display otherwise works perfectly. Also, the
crack is not in the exterior screen.

I'd be very grateful for any advice such as:

whether anyone has repaired their own screens;

how they are constructed and disassembled;

is the cracked item likely to be plain glass or some material with special
properties.

Thanks

Martin

More about : crack laptop screen

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 21, 2004 12:08:39 PM

Unfortunatley the only option is screen replacement if its cracked.
The Glass actually has traces on it responsible for the video you see.
What size screen is it you are in need of? ken@ikenfixit.com
November 21, 2004 6:21:38 PM

Thanks, Ken, I really appreciate your taking the time to reply. The
screen is 14" diagonally.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that there is a plastic screen that
covers the display i.e. the one I can touch, and below that is the
polarizing glass sheet. That is where the problem is, I believe. To
be honest, if you didn't know it was cracked I'm not so sure you'd see it.
Though I realise that the crack could easily grow and split the sheet in 2.
I could conceivably live with it, but I don't know if crack growth could
cause irreparable damage to underlying structure.

I see there are firms that fix lcd panels eg
http://www.omi-monitors.co.uk/price3.html , charging what, on the face of
it, seem very reasonable prices. However, I have no idea how delicate
these lcds are and how successful such repairs are. Is it really just a
case of replacing the upper polarizing panel?

Martin

"ikenfixit" <ken@ikenfixit-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Unfortunatley the only option is screen replacement if its cracked.
> The Glass actually has traces on it responsible for the video you see.
> What size screen is it you are in need of? ken@ikenfixit.com

a b D Laptop
November 22, 2004 2:44:18 AM

You can't repair it, your only choices are to live with it or to replace
the entire screen.

Martin wrote:

> A crack has appeared tonight in the screen of my AJP laptop (top right hand
> corner running diagonally for a couple of inches)
>
> No pixels are damaged and the display otherwise works perfectly. Also, the
> crack is not in the exterior screen.
>
> I'd be very grateful for any advice such as:
>
> whether anyone has repaired their own screens;
>
> how they are constructed and disassembled;
>
> is the cracked item likely to be plain glass or some material with special
> properties.
>

> Thanks
>
> Martin

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 29, 2004 1:57:28 PM

Third choice is to donate it to someone who is blind (no joke here; I'm
blind, use a laptop, and use software to read what's on the screen (or might
be on it if it worked!) aloud to me).

If it's too costly to repair, please contact me and I can put you in touch
with someone who'd appreciate it if you can't find someone yourself.

Chip

!