Noob wanting to build system.

zain_asad

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
To begin, I'm quite new to the world of system-building, and I want to take on the project of making a system. As a noob, I am quite lost about balancing components. My objective is to make a gaming rig that can take on the latest games and high and (perhaps) max settings. My budget is around $1500, give or take. I'm thinking maybe an i7 930 and GTX 460 sli combo, but my main concern is having a good case, PSU, and mobo, as I want to make the PC ready for upgrades down the road. Any pointers on making a balanced system.
Thanks in advance.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Okay let's get started.

First of all good choice making your own pc it has many great advantages which I'm sure you know of having made the choice you have.

Since you haven't given us all that much info try fill in this template

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261222-13-build-advice

I'm not sure wether we can fit a 930 and 460 sli in a 1500dollar pc, As I'm not really a fan of saving money on case,psu,mobo to get a decent gpu/cpu but we can sure try.

As for the balance of 460sli and a 930. Many would say a 930 is overkill, but IMO it leaves room for upgrades. Going for a 955BE now for example may cause bottlenecks in the future. 460sli however may not be the best choice. It is the best bang for buck on the market by miles, but the upgrade path ius limited if not non-existant. It's still a very good choice though due to the amazing bang for buck. Seeing as it's comparable in performance to a 680dollar 5970. Which is louder, hotter and less feature rich but very upgradeable.

If you've filled in the template I'll have more info to help you chose the rest of the components.

zain_asad

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Mid-August

BUDGET RANGE: $ approx 1600

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Application/Game Development(possibly).

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Don't count networking equipment. Monitor.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, but I am open to suggestions.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: Atx tower or similar size, I really don't mind what company.

OVERCLOCKING: Most Likely

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Open to suggestions

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 * 1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Being quiet isn't crucial, but I don't want a jet engine. Also, I don't care how bland or ugly a PC is so as long it performs well. My main concern is being able to upgrade in the future.