Sign in with
Your question

SSD total writes. Is it safe?

Last response: in Storage
October 16, 2012 4:25:01 AM

Hi. I have a SanDisk Extreme SSD that's 120GB and has had a total of at least 7tb of writes to it in 24 days but it has a lifetime of 2,500,000 so should it be ok no matter what? I have done allot of reinstalls of windows, ubuntu and all types of OS's but now I want Windows 7 Ultimate as the main OS for years 'at least I hope so'. Is that allot of writes and is it bad or good?

More about : ssd total writes safe

a b G Storage
October 16, 2012 5:11:06 AM

of course it (lots of writes) will eat up the lifetimes of your ssd, if your ssd is reliable or not? well there no definite answer for that....

m
l
a c 307 G Storage
October 16, 2012 5:28:52 AM

There are some formulars that are used to determine an ssd's useful lifetime. You would have to wait 5 years to find out if the formulars are reasonably accurate. By then we'll probably have something that is new and improved.

m
l
Related resources
a c 88 G Storage
October 16, 2012 5:29:47 AM

johndan102496 said:
Hi. I have a SanDisk Extreme SSD that's 120GB and has had a total of at least 7tb of writes to it in 24 days but it has a lifetime of 2,500,000 so should it be ok no matter what? I have done allot of reinstalls of windows, ubuntu and all types of OS's but now I want Windows 7 Ultimate as the main OS for years 'at least I hope so'. Is that allot of writes and is it bad or good?

7TB in 3 weeks? jebus!
m
l
a b G Storage
October 16, 2012 8:29:15 AM

7 TB in 24 days is a lot, but if you slow down to a normal use it shouldn't be any problem. If you want you can check your SMART settings with CrystalDiskInfo or similar for a lifetime number.
The manufacturer calculate with 20 GB per day for usually 3-5 years at least, so just go on.
m
l
!