This Corsair TX Series CMPSU-750TX PSU is defective, right?

choowoo

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I recently purchased a new setup and have been plagued with issues with it. I think it's a combination of several things that is confusing me soooooo much, so it's likely I'll be making new threads once each issue is resolved (unless there is a section where I can have a general troubleshooting thread?).

Let's start with the Corsair TX Series CMPSU-750TX. I got this psu due to it having great reviews. So, I didn't bother checking the 3.3, 5, 12 voltage. However, AFTER installing Windows 7 I noticed random instant power offs. At first I thought it was just Windows 7 or a driver issue, which is probably the cause of my other issues (wrong section, so I won't post it here).

I just checked the bios and noticed the following:

VCore = 1.268V
DDR15V = 1.520V
3.3V = 3.392V
5V = 4.892V
12V = b/w 10.8 to 11V

My set up:

Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower ATX Case (RC-932-KKN1-GP)
Intel Core™ i7 Processor 930 2.80GHz w/ 8MB Cache
Corsair Hydro Series H50 CPU Cooler (part cwch50)
Corsair TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan
XFX Radeon HD 5770 850MHZ 1GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI Display Port DIRECTX11 PCI-E2.0 Video Card
Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1600C9 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Core i7 Memory Kit
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R ATX LGA1366 X58 DDR3 4PCI-E SATA3 USB3.0 Sound GLAN CrossFireX SLI Motherboard
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black 7200rpm SATA III w/ 64MB Cache ( 2 of this )
Asus DRW-24B1LT 24x DVD-RW Drive, SATA w/ Lightscribe, Black, OEM
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card

I also have an older SATA2 80GB hard drive that I would like to use.

At this moment I only connected 1 Western Digital 1TB, not the other WD or the older SATA2. I want to connect those too, but I bet the power would die quicker.

I used this tool to figure out how much I need:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Minus the option of the H50 CPU Cooler (no option to select it), it told me I needed: 403W.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I DO NOT plan on OC'ing it, but will want to put at least another hard drive in it so I can do 2 separate raids (one on sata 3, the other on sata2). It seems to me that this seems to be defective and I should return it back to the store. Agreed?

Secondly, this psu comes with a rebate of $20. I would like to do that before the postmark date, which is on the 21st. If I submit for a rebate, do you think the store will accept the box back (b/c the rebate upc is needed from the box), or will I be stuck with it and deal directly with Corsair (5yr warranty). I would rather deal with the store first to save time and money (got until the 25th to return items back to them for warranty...after that I got to go to the manufacturer).

Hopefully you'll answer fast. Thanks!!!

choowoo

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Took it back to the store where they tested it on another computer. The 5V showed even lower at about 4.5 and the 12V was at about 10.5. They had another 750TX plugged in that computer first and it showed the correct V for all the settings. They RMA'd mine to Corsair.

Thanks all!

OK, but I maintain that that's not a valid test technique. Digital multimeters are the way to go.

Still, I'd say that it's fairly likely that that was your problem, given the symptoms. Hopefully, the replacement will fix everything.

I'm happy you got it together. I have a defective Corsair a week ago that I had to carry back. That proves that every brand has lemons.

TRENDING THREADS