Foxconn M61PMV and Phenom II X4 955 be

tj11

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Hi there,

I have the M61PMV (old crappy mobo I know) and wanted to make one final CPU upgrade before I started a new build.

The compatibility list for my my mobo states that my new Phenom II X4 955 is supported but even with the latest BIOS update the processor is still locked at 800mhz.

I have disabled COOl+QUIET in in the BIOS as I'm aware this can cause the clock to be hiked back.

Is my processor ACTUALLY supported or are FOXCONN publishing false info on their support pages?

Thanks in advance.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Hmm...
Well, I know that someone else had this same problem, and that there was an option somewhere that was holding the processor back. But I can't for the life of me remember what it was...

I'll look and see if I can find that thread again. Until then, just play around with it and see if anything has any impact on the processor speed. If you see a great deal on a motherboard, though, I'd probably go for it just to be safe...

tj11

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Cheers for the reply. I've mucked around with it a bit and doesn't look like it's gonna run anywhere near the advertised clock speed. Anyone know anything I can try besides a BIOS update? As I mentioned it IS listed as a compatible processor.

I just noticed it says that it's the Phenom II X4 955 95w that it supports but I didn't think the 955 came at any other wattage besides 125w. Anyone know if this is the case?

Guess I should have read around more thoroughly :whistle:

Yeah looks as though I'll have fast-track my new build. Just wanted to squeeze the last bit of functionality out of my M61PMV! Stingy I know :D

tj11

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Cheers for the reply. I've mucked around with it a bit and doesn't look like it's gonna run anywhere near the advertised clock speed. Anyone know anything I can try besides a BIOS update? As I mentioned it IS listed as a compatible processor.

I just noticed it says that it's the Phenom II X4 955 95w that it supports but I didn't think the 955 came at any other wattage besides 125w. Anyone know if this is the case?

Guess I should have read around more thoroughly :whistle:

Yeah looks as though I'll have fast-track my new build. Just wanted to squeeze the last bit of functionality out of my M61PMV! Stingy I know :D

tj11

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Sorry for double post.

Ok, so I managed to get the clock multiplyer up from 4x200mhz to 11x200mhz so 2.2ghz essentially.

My mobo doesn't offer an increase in the clock multiplyer beyond 11x

I don't think I can safely change the FSB.

Is there anyway I can increase it 16x so as to get the full 3.2ghz?

Thanks.

artk2219

Distinguished

Incredibly late reply that im sure wont make a difference to you now lol, you could have set the fsb to 300 and lowered the multi for memory, northbridge, and hyper transport to get it to 3.3 or dialed it down a little to get to the advertised 3.2. If you still have that board it might make for some fun times though.