P8P67 Double posting/ booting

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
double posting: Turning on for about 3-5 seconds, shutting off and then starting up properly.

I have overclocked to 4.6ghz on 1.350v and it seemed fairly stable as it was good for a entire night of prime 95 and 11 passes of intel burn test. My temps when under a full stress load are 60-70C between all 4 cores which I believe is the safe zone. My computer crashed yesterday so I backed to 4.5ghz on the same voltage. I lasted another hour on prime 95 and no crashing. I am not sure what the exact issue is and it may very well be a setting. This only seems to occur when I cold boot. I read that turning on power from pcie in EFI should do the trick and I thought it did until this morning another double post.

Here is a pic of my 4.5ghz oc after an hour of prime 95 small fft's:
DKCv7.jpg

Solution
#1 -- what version of the BIOS are you running? This solves many problems, including _some_ with double posting.

#2 -- I note that you did the PCIe thing, so that's a good step.

#3 -- Did you disable PLL over-voltage? That can help stop the cold double-boots.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
#1 -- what version of the BIOS are you running? This solves many problems, including _some_ with double posting.

#2 -- I note that you did the PCIe thing, so that's a good step.

#3 -- Did you disable PLL over-voltage? That can help stop the cold double-boots.

Solution

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

#1 BIOS 1202 x64 "I checked the ASUS site and it appears to be the latest version for that board".

#2 Yes, Boot from PCIE is enabled.

#3 Internal PLL Overvoltage was enabled so I have went ahead and disabled it.

I have also uninstalled the marvel sata controllers and disabled them in the bios. I'm not sure if the issue is 100% fixed as I will have to monitor the issue an see if in fact it has been cured. My only issue at this point is fixing the mouse courser from moving on its own, which I believe to be from my old wireless keyboard. So I wont worry about that until I get my new usb keyboard.

I'LL REPORT BACK IF THE ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED. I WOULD STILL APPRECIATE FURTHER SOLUTIONS TO IMPROVE PERFORMANCE AND SOLVE THIS ISSUE.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

Yes, please do. I have a P8P67 (plain-vanilla version) coming in today with a 2500k and have been doing a lot of research on the problems folks have had. One resource at some overclock website indicated that having the internal PLL overvoltage enabled could cause double-post, so I'm curious to hear if that fixes it for you...

I did also read that PLL overvoltage was required for very-high overclocks -- I don't know what very-high means, but 4.6GHz seems pretty high -- so I'm curious to hear if fixing the double-post messes up the overclock that you were able to reach.

Bottom line, the P8P67 seems to be a fairly troublesome board -- hopefully there is no tradeoff between either having a double-post issue and being able to reach high-overclocks; that's really a deal-breaker for me...

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Well I'm at 4.5 now at 1.350v and thats where I plan to stay. When stressing the voltage droops to 1.336v and when idles it jumps to 1.360-1.370v. My temps all seem normal and at a safe level as well as the voltage below 1.40 for 24/7 OC's. Hopefully I'm good for now and can hold tight for another bios. Seems better than my last asus maximus 1366 board from last year. I do agree they are troublesome but the only real issue I have had is the double post and stupid mouse/keyboard issues on the EFI. Other than that its really nice and I'm happy. I guess because of how new this platform is it needs time, especially after the cougar point.

Anyway, I'll keep posted and report back. It might be a day or two but I want to monitor it for a good amount of time before I come to a conclusion.

I unplugged the computer and let it sit for a minute and it did not double post so its a good sign so far.

Eventually, ASUS will come out with a BIOS that allows the PLL Overvoltage to be enabled and still prevent the double-boot issue.

ASRock just did a couple of weeks ago for my P67 Pro3 board, so I'm happy.

Off-topic:
Please don't clutter our forums with multiple posts regarding the same subject. Thanks!

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

We'll I got the help I need so this particular thread can be closed as I'm helping another user on the "duplicate thread".

Thanks

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

I am so glad that this worked out for you; best way to close a thread here is to pick a best answer.

Enjoy your Sandy Bridge; I got my P8P67 and 2500k assembled last night -- worked just fine. Funnily enough, I didn't have any double-booting issues even with internal PLL until I enabled the TPM and EPM switches. Weird, huh? Disabling the internal PLL deal fixed it.

P8P67 seems to have a lot of these little bugs...

(5/27/11 Update: I did a little more experimentation. The TPM -- though not the EPM -- will also cause some double-posting regardless of the internal PLL settings. The reason is that TPM is an optimizing system and seems to use a "test-and-test-again" approach; that is, it changes the motherboards settings, then tests whether it will boot, and the finalizes the settings. I have also read elsewhere that the EPM and TPM are useless unless you're using Asus' UEFI auto-overclock feature. As such, disabling them is one less thing to cause you trouble.)

TRENDING THREADS