Sign in with
Your question

How to restore .wmf disk image/copy file?

Last response: in Storage
October 16, 2012 6:26:43 AM

The thread is my question.
I made a copy or image or backup of a harddrive, and had stored it into another hard drive under the file name "Copy of drive X.wmf" -- trouble is, I have forgotten which software was used to create it, and I had a system breakdown in between, so that I lost all my previous software.
The files in that hard drive had a mixture of all files, llike a system disk. I am now using Win7 and XP.
a c 152 G Storage
October 17, 2012 5:12:02 AM

wmf is a Windows Matafile. It is an image file: "Proprietary Windows graphic format developed by Microsoft; contains a series of drawing operations, including commands for drawing lines, circles, and rectangles; may also contain bitmap drawing operations; used primarily for vector images, but can also include raster graphics."
Source: http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/wmf

This is a link to programs that will open .WMF files: http://www.pcpitstop.com/fileextension/extension/WMF~Fi...
One of the programs on that list is Microsoft Paint.

If it is a backup file then the file extension is wrong. Just out of curiosity, what is the size of the file?

m
l
October 17, 2012 9:31:15 AM

Dear Kenrivers, Sir,
The disk file sizes vary between 30GB to 160GB.
I seemed to have tried Paint on them, but it did not work.
I think you are right in that the file extension had been given wrongly, by that program which I had no trace of, pity that these programs sometimes you cannot know from the files created.
Perhaps I do not know how to use Paint.
The disk files contain data files, as well as photos, videos, sound etc. in many folders.
Would appreciate further assistance.
Sincerely, Novice Pablo.
m
l
Related resources
October 24, 2012 11:27:19 AM

Dear Kenrivers, Sir,
I did not use Windows XP. I will go through those softwares that I have lost during the system crash, and try to find out which one, by searching for such programs again in the internet.
Meanwhile, I will try your links and have a look.
Yours sincerely,
Pablo, youngster.
m
l
!