Sign in with
Your question

PC Sound Card Hooked up to Home Theater Receiver

Last response: in Components
October 3, 2010 2:48:54 PM

I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out. I've hooked up my PC to my home theater receiver (Marantz SR8801) and am running the PC sound through the HDMI connector on the video card (ASUS 5870) that is hooked into the receiver via an HDMI port. I'm able to get sound through the system, however I don't seem to be able to control any of the audio properties in the Soundblaster X-Fi menus. In other words, any of the changes I make X-Fi Control Program, like the Equalizer doesn't adjust any of the auto properties like Bass/Trebile etc. It appears that the sound card is getting bi-passed in the system? I have the onboard audio device on the motherboard turned off in the Bios.

Is there a way to control the audio properties on the sound card? Or does this have to be done through the receiver?

More about : sound card hooked home theater receiver

October 11, 2010 11:33:09 AM

hockster said:
I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out. I've hooked up my PC to my home theater receiver (Marantz SR8801) and am running the PC sound through the HDMI connector on the video card (ASUS 5870) that is hooked into the receiver via an HDMI port. I'm able to get sound through the system, however I don't seem to be able to control any of the audio properties in the Soundblaster X-Fi menus. In other words, any of the changes I make X-Fi Control Program, like the Equalizer doesn't adjust any of the auto properties like Bass/Trebile etc. It appears that the sound card is getting bi-passed in the system? I have the onboard audio device on the motherboard turned off in the Bios.

Is there a way to control the audio properties on the sound card? Or does this have to be done through the receiver?

Hey my friend.

i just hooked up my harman kardon hkts 7 5.1 to my pc.of course with a receiver.i used a yamaha receiver.
I used rca adapters to plug into my Creative x-fi elite pro.it works alright.i can adjust bass/etc settings and i hear the difference.BUT i got my problem of my own as well my rear channels dont work,i checked all wires.But yea i recommend you,try buying a digital I/O drive and a optical cable,that way its all direct,i will be doing this 48 hours from now. i will keep you posted.do the same for me if you have any information on my case.
m
l
October 12, 2010 2:44:35 PM

hockster said:

The Answer is NO. You can't control Audio properties of 5870 Audio/HDMI from XFi Creative Console:

Why: The 2 are two different audio source. Your PC has 2 difference Audio Source/Playback:
1) Realtec Sound Chip @ the 5870/HDMI Card
2) Creative Xifi Card (Creative Sound Card).

Once you asign the 5870/HDMI as your playback source the creative soundcard has no control on the audio. You have to install realtek audio media center to enable you to control the sound properties of the realtek sound chip.

The creative Console works only for creative sound card.

Another options:
1) Connect the Xfi optical link to your receiver. That will allow you to control the audio properties from the xfi card.
2) If your receiver has 7.1 / 5.1 analog input you can connect your Xfi card analog output to the Analog input of the receiver. Thats one of the connection i have on my Xfi card and 7.1 receiver. The Xfi card function as my pre-amplifier/audio processor and its(xfi card output) output drives the main 7.1 AMP of my receiver. Audio properties can be control through Creative Audio Console.

m
l
October 12, 2010 5:26:36 PM

^^ Leon is correct. The ATI GPU's pass through the audio from the Realtek sound chip, and NOT any add-in card. So if you want to use the soundcard, you have to connect the card directly to the receiver via either optical or analog.
m
l
Related resources
!