Sign in with
Your question

Suggested Build > can someone check my homework?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 30, 2010 1:47:44 PM

Ok, I'm in the market for a new system.
Not wanting to spend a whole lot (well, relatively) since I have to justify this with the Mrs. :D . But seriously, I'm on a bit of a budget.

Use: all the general stuff (office etc.), some video/photo editing (nothing major!) and/but I want to be able to play a couple of games recently. I want to get back in flightsimming and some FPS.

I will NOT overclock, use usre SLI/CrossFire.

With all the information I could get, including this nice forum, I came up with the following options, going from "hm, I guess I'm ok with this" (*) to "nice, I'm happy!!!" (***).

Any feedback would be awesome!

(thumb to image... image is 1,3 Mb)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

More about : suggested build check homework

July 30, 2010 2:16:32 PM

Hm I left out the resolution I'd like to use:

1680x1050 for * and 1920x1080 for ***. I guess my ** option falls in between.
Related resources
July 30, 2010 4:59:39 PM

Lol, no, I'm from the Netherlands, so not gonna order from Newegg. Actually, the prices in my table are in euro's as well (oops :)  ). I'm more looking for item-per-item advice. Maybe you guys don't agree with my choice of CPU for example, or know a better MB/Memory/PSU etc. at more or less the same pricerange.

I'll check your list out though to see how it compares to parts I can get here, so thanks!
July 30, 2010 5:03:18 PM

Oh XD, is there a retailer that you're buying from then? A catalog/website would be great.
July 30, 2010 5:20:33 PM

www.alternate.nl [/url

The site is in dutch, but I think you'll be fine. Left most tab at top of page says "hardware" which is clear enough.

In alphabetical order (of the dutch terms ofcourse), yoú'll find these":

case="behuizingen"
RAM="geheugen"
GPU="grafische kaarten"
HD="harddisks" (that one is easy, right? :) )
cooler="koeling"
MB="moederborden"
CPU="processoren"
PSU="voeding"" target="_blank">www.alternate.nl [/url

The site is in dutch, but I think you'll be fine. Left most tab at top of page says "hardware" which is clear enough.

In alphabetical order (of the dutch terms ofcourse), yoú'll find these":

case="behuizingen"
RAM="geheugen"
GPU="grafische kaarten"
HD="harddisks" (that one is easy, right? :) )
cooler="koeling"
MB="moederborden"
CPU="processoren"
PSU="voeding"
July 30, 2010 5:43:49 PM

RAM
HDD
Mobo
Case (Picked this because its cheap, looks decent and does the job fine, pick the one you like though.)
PSU(with a single HD5770 and no OC, this would provide plenty of power for a nice price. Get a higher-rated unit for a HD4850+ however.)
CPU(This would provide more than enough power for light gaming and productivity task, but depending of what games you play, the Phenom II X2 550 could be a better choice.)
GPU (I actually would go for the HD4850 as its such a good deal, but what is the resolution you'll be playing at? Get the 1GB version if its over 1650*1080.)

Total: €503

Personally I don't see a reason to go for the i5, wont benefit you much while being $100 more. If you want to go higher-end, get a Phenom II X4 945 or a Phenom II X2 555 to unlock with a GTX460 or such.
July 30, 2010 8:06:28 PM

so basically: save some extra, to spend it on GPU?

Resolution will depend on my new screen... heard something about native resolution being important, so:
if the native resolution is 1650*1080, I feel I should go for the HD4850 1GB?.
If 1920*1080 than HD5770 1Gb?

BTW, Could you explain your choice of CPU? I'm not up to speed about the difference between Phenom and Athlon, and it looks to me you're suggesting a 3100Mhz Phenom X2 over a 3100X4 Athlon or 2900X3 Athlon. Is the difference that big?

Also... can I conclude from this that I should go with a more recent processor (like Phenom) with 2 cores at higher Mhz instead of more cores with lower Mhz?

Thanks heaps... slowly getting back into this PC-parts world (last time I was really up to date was 10 years ago rofl)
July 30, 2010 8:19:13 PM

Equilibrix said:
so basically: save some extra, to spend it on GPU?

Resolution will depend on my new screen... heard something about native resolution being important, so:
if the native resolution is 1650*1080, I feel I should go for the HD4850 1GB?.
If 1920*1080 than HD5770 1Gb?

BTW, Could you explain your choice of CPU? I'm not up to speed about the difference between Phenom and Athlon, and it looks to me you're suggesting a 3100Mhz Phenom X2 over a 3100X4 Athlon or 2900X3 Athlon. Is the difference that big?

Also... can I conclude from this that I should go with a more recent processor (like Phenom) with 2 cores at higher Mhz instead of more cores with lower Mhz?

Thanks heaps... slowly getting back into this PC-parts world (last time I was really up to date was 10 years ago rofl)

No, I meant if your resolution under 1650*1080 go for 512MB cards (either one), and if its over than (eg.1900*1200) get 1GB cards instead.

On the CPU, the Phenom is not more recent, they're based on the same architecture, just the Athlon is missing the L3 cache, which makes the Phenom perform 10% better clock for clock (eg. A 3500Mhz Phenom Dual performs the same as a 3850Mhz Athlon Dual).

I said choose the CPU depending on the games you plan to run because there are plenty of less recent games that utilized only 2 cores, in this case, the Phenom with a faster clock speed and L3 would beat the Athlon as the third core would not be used. But for more modern games like GTA4/Crysis etc that can use more than 2 cores, the Athlon would come on top.

The reason you dont need much of a better CPU is because most games are limited by the GPU.
For example, most games would perform better with a Athlon X3+GTX460 than an i5-750+HD5670 for the same price.
August 1, 2010 12:14:00 PM

I understand... thanks for your advice so far! You're really getting me up to speed again with this. As to the games I will be playing primarily, it's flightsims (of which the majority is relatively old and so won't use 4 cores... yet) and the more tactical FPS like Flashpoint.

I'm left with 2 questions:

* OS: I have a legit windows XP, so I can upgrade to Windows 7. But... should I do that? and if so, go for 32 bit or 64 bit, premium, professional etc.? The cost is not an issue, since the software is greatly subsidized for me.

* screen: is it still true that when I try to run a game on 1650X1080 on a full HD screen, the quality will drop significantly?
!