Is there a difference in performance between 4gb and 6gb?

I am in the market for a new gaming laptop to replace my current gaming desktop. My desktop has an i7-860 and 4gb of RAM. The notebook I am looking at also has an i7 processor, but I am torn between a configuration with 4gb and 6gb of RAM.

I am a very performance oriented computer user (not just for games), and I was wondering if there is really a difference in performance. My current desktop runs everything I throw at it fine, never using much of the 4gb of RAM. Does anything really use 6gb of RAM?

Thanks in advance!
-Harvey
3 answers Last reply
More about difference performance
  1. iharvey92 said:
    My current desktop runs everything I throw at it fine, never using much of the 4gb of RAM. Does anything really use 6gb of RAM?
    Thanks in advance!
    -Harvey

What is everything...photo/video editing, VM?
  2. Sorry;

Runs games on high settings, 1920x1080, HD video editing, very limited photo editing, and just basic functions like Office and Firefox.
  3. iharvey92 said:
    Sorry;

Runs games on high settings, 1920x1080, HD video editing, very limited photo editing, and just basic functions like Office and Firefox.

If you aren't getting to the limits with the 4GB you have, I'd go for the 4GB config. If you decide later you need to speed things up, add the RAM yourself, probably cheaper than the bump in specs the laptop maker would charge. I think intensive 3D CAD might use a lot of RAM, or if you're running your HD video program with a game or two going, with a few browser windows open, etc. It's probably more about the number of programs running. You could try opening a bunch of things and check your resources in Task Manager.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Performance Desktops RAM Gaming