Your question
Closed

Dell E521 CPU Upgrade - A couple questions

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 3, 2010 6:13:51 PM

Hello all, long time reader first time poster!

After having my Dell e521 for about 3-4 years now, playing world of warcraft and FFXI.. It just does not cut it for new games anymore. I have added new ram, replaced a power supply and have upgraded from no GPU, to an EVGA 8600GT and now to a BFG 9800GT. Im currently running an AMD Athlon 64x2 3600+ 65w CPU and it is a huge bottleneck for my computer and newer games anymore.

I recently purchased an AMD Athlon 64x2 5800+ Brisbane 89w CPU. This will be my first time and replacing/upgrading a CPU and I'm pretty nervous! First off, I'm wondering if the stock heatsink will be enough to keep this CPU running at reasonable temperatures. Second, Would a BIOS update be required and if so is it something relatively easy for a beginer to do? Also another fear I have is the CPU being stuck to the heatsink due to crappy thermal paste, if this happens should i release the CPU lever and pull the CPU out with the heatsink?

I have read all of This thread and it seems like many of people have had success with the E521. I'd just like to be sure for myself if im going about this the right way!

Thanks for reading, any comments appreciated :) 
a c 103 à CPUs
October 3, 2010 7:03:45 PM

1. Upgrade BIOS to latest, better chance of supporting CPU.

2. Jumping from a 3600 to a 5800 will result in heat increase, so get a good 3rd party cooler.

3. Before removing the heatsink, run prime95 and max. out the 3600 to create enough heat to safely remove heatsink, if still a bit stubborn, use a razor blade to ease off cpu.
Score
a c 105 à CPUs
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 3, 2010 7:11:07 PM

that's a BTX heat sink so upgrading it is rather difficult unless you know how to modd. :pfff: 

if Rhartzell88 did know how to modd, he would not be asking us these questions.

you also don't need to run prime95 :pfff:  the CPU heats up plenty just on a simple boot up.

the good news is I ran an Athlon X2 6000 125w with that same HSF (same PC) so you will be fine. update your BIOS though to the latest and greatest, its pretty easy with DELL BIOS.
Score
Related resources
a c 105 à CPUs
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 3, 2010 7:14:42 PM

Quote:

a little work is the Noctua NH-U9B cpu cooler, comes with complete kit..

i saw a guy use that on the dell forum install that on the e521 although if I recall, he had to mix and match screws/washers from a previous HSF he owned.
Score
a c 105 à CPUs
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 3, 2010 7:20:41 PM

Quote:

@ct1615 - Noctua is a direct fit my 5 year old son can do it if I talked him through.
good call on the 6000+ Windsor @125watts, if you overclocked it I bet you could bbq a side of beef it got so heated in there.. lol

it hit 64c during gaming. it won't win any cooling awards but it worked...
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 3, 2010 7:23:43 PM

Thanks for the reply guys! Very helpful. Is there anything that I could potentially nuke on accident when updating the bios and should update the bios before or after the new CPU install?
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 3, 2010 7:33:56 PM

Ok thank you, I'll post back later this week when the CPU is delivered with results.
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 3, 2010 8:10:42 PM

Ooops, one more question. In the event that the CPU/Heatsink seem stuck together, what should I do? Release the socket lever and try to pull both out at the same time? I've read a handful of posts across different forums with people have stuck AMD 64x2's stuck to the heatsink.

Again thanks, you guys are a huge help!

Edit: Threads like These scare me! =X

Score
a c 105 à CPUs
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 3, 2010 8:26:49 PM

boot the PC up and then shut it down. the HS should come right off the CPU. the HS actually comes off like opening a book. it has only two pins on one side, the opposite side sits on a bar.

the 1.1.11 BIOS works just fine
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 3, 2010 8:56:35 PM

Best answer selected by Rhartzell88.
Score
October 16, 2010 3:02:20 AM

Well, everything went well. Id just like to thank you all for the tips! The only part that I had trouble with was figuring out how to use the can of air I had bought to clean out my case. Everything is running pretty well now for about three weeks.
Score
November 20, 2011 3:18:16 PM

Hey All,

I used this thread to do my E521 upgrade but ran into a serious snag with the CPU. I tried upgrading from a 3800+ to the Brisbane 5800+, stock heatsink, added 4GB Kingston Value RAM to 6GB total, XFX GT 240 GPU, 2TB hard drive added to the bottom bay.

I upgraded the BIOS to.11 as well. Pulled CMOS to reset the BIOS just in case. Cleaned heatsink, tried AS5 spread and rice technique. It fires up ok, about 3 minutes in the CPU fans get faster and faster, then the PC shuts down. HW monitor shows the cores going thru the roof but the chip and the heatsink are cool to the touch. When I reboot, the machine can't even load Windows, just shuts down shortly after POST. BIOS and Windows report the 5800+ correctly. I reseated and reapplied AS5 dozen times or more.

Suspected video card and ram, went back to stock on both, same issue. Replaced power supply (400W Dynex), same issue.

Is the CPU defective? Am I missing something? Thanks very much for the help!
Score
!