Older Motherbord wanting to upgrade CPU

sideshowbob32

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Well where do i start I want to upgrade my CPU to something newer and faster I currently have a am2+ 940 in a GA-MA790FX-UD5P. It is in my opinion a vary High end am2+ MB i have 2 4890's in crossfire and 8gb of ddr2 1200. But i was looking to upgrade to a Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition my question is is it worth it? is my ram and motherboard a bottle neck? I know the motherboard can take the CPU with a bios update. I'm kind of regretting :pfff: when I upgraded last i should have spent the extra$$ and went with a am3 Bord and ddr3 but ddr2 was so appealing when 8gb of ddr2 1200 was under a 100$ What i mainly do is gaming and video editing photo shop here and there :) any input would be appreciated should i get a new CPU hold off until i can upgrade the hole system?

Solution
The 965BE beats it in games and should have the same headroom for overclocking but if you are video editing 25% of the time it would be an argument for a X6 it is not a bad gaming CPU.

sideshowbob32

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
I am gaming 75% of the time and video editing 25% of the time i am not going to lie a SSD does look nice to run windows on and my games and other programs :) . but another reason i am getting a better CPU is my brother is complaining his games are slow he is still on a old am2 4200x2 so i think a amd 940x4 would be a good upgrade for him :bounce: . also I like to overclock so would the x6 be a better option for games if i OC or should i go for the 965?