Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

XP on Windows 8 Partition

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
January 5, 2013 2:20:34 AM

I was wondering if someone has been successful in installing XP in a Windows 8 partition. Reason for the need of XP? Compliance to a requirement.

I bought a new PC today thinking I could easily install on XP in a new partition. Was successful in creating the partition. Tried to pop-in the XP DVD within Win 8, (and planned to install in the new partition) It won't proceed "due to incompatibility".

Re-started and changed the boot sequence to make DVD priority, it just bypasses it and proceeds to load Win8.

What to do?

endoabi

More about : windows partition

a b * Windows 8
January 5, 2013 2:40:01 AM

What do you want to do? dual-boot WinXp and Windows 8?
Or wipe out Windows 8 and install Windows Xp?
Score
0
January 5, 2013 2:42:07 AM

yes, dual boot, if that is possible at all. thanks.
Score
0
Related resources
January 5, 2013 2:42:49 AM

To my knowledge no. Each OS must be on its own drive/partition. You can't run two on the same.

I'd try a different drive. Or XP disk. Do you need to press a key to boot from CD? if this is a new computer/laptop there might not be any XP drivers, hence the "incompatibility" message you saw.
Score
0
January 5, 2013 2:45:19 AM

danny2000 said:
What do you want to do? dual-boot WinXp and Windows 8?
Or wipe out Windows 8 and install Windows Xp?



dual-boot. thanks.
Score
0
January 5, 2013 2:46:45 AM

4745454b said:
To my knowledge no. Each OS must be on its own drive/partition. You can't run two on the same.

I'd try a different drive. Or XP disk. Do you need to press a key to boot from CD? if this is a new computer/laptop there might not be any XP drivers, hence the "incompatibility" message you saw.




yes, it was being installed to a newly created partition...
Score
0
a b * Windows 8
January 5, 2013 2:49:27 AM

You need to boot the computer from the Windows XP disk (it can't be installed from within Win 8). Put the disk in the drive and restart the PC, and there should be an option to select the disk to boot from depending on the model of PC (usually an F-key like F12 or F8 or something)
Score
0
January 5, 2013 2:52:19 AM

SchizTech said:
You need to boot the computer from the Windows XP disk (it can't be installed from within Win 8). Put the disk in the drive and restart the PC, and there should be an option to select the disk to boot from depending on the model of PC (usually an F-key like F12 or F8 or something)



I've done that. it just bypasses the disc and goes directly to load win8. I even re-arranged the boot priority, and put the disc and re-started. it just goes directly to win8.
Score
0
a b * Windows 8
January 5, 2013 2:57:41 AM

Where did you get the XP disk from? Are you sure it's a good disk and can you successfully run other DVDs or CDs from that drive?
Score
0
a b * Windows 8
January 5, 2013 2:58:39 AM

If the disk won't work it is possible to make a bootable USB flash drive with an image of the XP installer.
Score
0
January 5, 2013 3:14:13 AM

SchizTech said:
Where did you get the XP disk from? Are you sure it's a good disk and can you successfully run other DVDs or CDs from that drive?


I own the disk, original, with the hologram backing. And yes, the drive is good. I bought the PC today, and I just made back-up copy of the drivers on DVD.
Score
0
a b * Windows 8
January 5, 2013 3:16:13 AM

What model is this? Many new PCs sold with Win 8 have a feature called "Secure boot" which prevents non-signed code from running. Since there is no secure boot key for versions of Windows before Windows 8 this could block them from booting. Is there an option in the BIOS to disable Secure Boot?
Score
0
January 5, 2013 3:18:12 AM

SchizTech said:
If the disk won't work it is possible to make a bootable USB flash drive with an image of the XP installer.



haven't tried this option. but I just found out something. when re-started and F12 is pressed, it will bring you to the boot options but the only choice is windows boot manager.
Score
0
January 5, 2013 3:19:29 AM

SchizTech said:
What model is this? Many new PCs sold with Win 8 have a feature called "Secure boot" which prevents non-signed code from running. Since there is no secure boot key for versions of Windows before Windows 8 this could block them from booting. Is there an option in the BIOS to disable Secure Boot?


Acer Aspire X.
Score
0
January 5, 2013 3:20:29 AM

SchizTech said:
What model is this? Many new PCs sold with Win 8 have a feature called "Secure boot" which prevents non-signed code from running. Since there is no secure boot key for versions of Windows before Windows 8 this could block them from booting. Is there an option in the BIOS to disable Secure Boot?



will check the "secure boot"
Score
0
January 5, 2013 3:31:36 AM

SchizTech said:
What model is this? Many new PCs sold with Win 8 have a feature called "Secure boot" which prevents non-signed code from running. Since there is no secure boot key for versions of Windows before Windows 8 this could block them from booting. Is there an option in the BIOS to disable Secure Boot?


went to the BIOS disabled secure boot, re-started with the XP on the drive, it simply bypasses it and proceeds to the win8 load...
Score
0
a b * Windows 8
January 5, 2013 3:36:09 AM

Is it possible that booting from the DVD-rom is disabled in the BIOS? It sounds silly but I've seen it.
Score
0
January 5, 2013 4:46:26 AM

Quote:
I'd try a different drive. Or XP disk. Do you need to press a key to boot from CD?


Realize also that if you do this you'll need to fix the boot loader. You won't be able to boot into win8 until you do.
Score
0

Best solution

February 24, 2013 10:12:15 PM

I have just gone through this exercise with my Acer Aspire X C600. To get the thing to boot to anything other than the internal hard drive (which has Windows 8 on it) you have to not only disable 'Secure Boot' in 'Authentication' in the BIOS but go to the 'Boot options' menu, where you will notice that 'Launch CSM' is now no longer grayed out, and you can change that setting to "Always". You can also in that menu change the boot priority, although on most computers there is a 'hot key' (on my Acer it's F12) that if you press it early in the boot will show a list of bootable drives/devices. I can boot to either DVD/CDs or to bootable USB memory sticks.
Now if I could figure out why the internal speaker (which does beep during boot) is invisible ("disconnected") in Windows 8 and apparently linux.
Share
May 11, 2013 6:56:20 AM

endoabi said:
danny2000 said:
What do you want to do? dual-boot WinXp and Windows 8?
Or wipe out Windows 8 and install Windows Xp?



dual-boot. thanks.


Score
0
May 11, 2013 6:58:30 AM

how can i wipe out win xp and install win 8
Score
0
May 11, 2013 9:09:40 AM

Have you looked at the windows 8 downgrade rights? You can only go back to vista. Windows 8 will not let you go to xp because it was not in the downgrade rights for 8. Just use a virtual machine and use xp on the virtual machine. Why do you want to use a 11 year old system when Microsoft is not going to support it next year?
Score
0
!