Sign in with
Your question

Worth upgrading E6750 to Athlon II X 4 630?

Last response: in CPUs
October 3, 2010 7:14:12 PM

I currently have an E6750 and I may be able to get an Athlon II X 4 630 cheap.

The system will be run at stock speeds. Basically I want to move to quad core (hopefully to speed up some multi-core apps I use).

However I don't want to take a backwards step if 2 of the cores on the Athlon are not at least equal to the performance of the E6750 (hopefully that makes sense). I.e. I would like at least the performance I have now but with the bonus of two extra cores.

Is this worth upgrading? Bare in mind I am okay with buying a new motherboard so just compare the two cpu's.

The Athlon will probably be £50 or under (currently retail around £72 here).

Thanks for any input.
a c 105 à CPUs
October 3, 2010 7:16:55 PM

well if you are running multi-core apps and want better performance then it would be a good move
October 3, 2010 7:22:02 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I also game a moderate amount too. How will 2 cores of the Athlon fair over the E6750?
Related resources
a c 105 à CPUs
October 3, 2010 7:30:40 PM

depends on the game itself (does it use more then two cores) but for the most part they seem pretty even
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/105?vs=60

obviously in video creation the two extra cores come in very handy
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2010 11:53:39 PM

I assume you plan on using your current ram with the new system. Which is probably DDR2. So you would have to go with a AM2+ board. If you can get the chip for cheap and your programs take advantage of quad cores then go for it.
a c 81 à CPUs
October 4, 2010 2:04:02 AM

Why not upgrade to a core 2 quad.? You'll thereby would just need to change your processor..
October 4, 2010 7:50:07 AM

Someguy7, yes I'll still be using the same 4 Gb of DDR2 that I have. What I was curious about was the core for core performance. For example, if I were to run a game that only uses 2 cores how the Athlon would match up against the 2 cores of the E6750.

I've looked at the link ct1615 provided and it does look like its close.

I did look at my current motherboard support but I can't seem to find any of the Core 2 Quads for a decent price. With the Athlon chip I can get a motherboard together for the price of the a Q9650 and I'd still be able to swap out the chip for something meatier in future.

I'm not too sure I think maybe it could be a sideways move and that I really need to save more cash and get something better.
October 4, 2010 8:50:07 AM

well the Core 2 Quad 45nm is faster icp than Phenom II but not by much. Like my Q9650 is at 3GHz it takes a 3.2GHz Phenom II to at least match it. so is it worth it. Yes and no. If you don't plan on swaping your motherboard. But then again running an Athlon II X4 in an AM2+ board. you may have to flash the bios even before the motherboard may recognize it. Then there is i5 or i7. You can get an i5 or i7 chip now for a little bit more money. But then again you could wait a few months untill SB and BD is out to bring down the prices on the old hardware. That's what I did when i7 came out and I got the Q9650.
a c 81 à CPUs
October 4, 2010 9:58:13 AM

geeky said:

I did look at my current motherboard support but I can't seem to find any of the Core 2 Quads for a decent price. With the Athlon chip I can get a motherboard together for the price of the a Q9650 and I'd still be able to swap out the chip for something meatier in future.

Considering the Bulldozer's incompatibility with the current platform, there is no apparent great bright future for the AM3 platform also.. Further, you need not look to get the Q9650.. The Q9450 is quite a lot cheaper and will give you enough horsepower to carry your rig through till the next generation of CPU's launch (from either camp)..
a c 85 à CPUs
October 4, 2010 11:00:48 AM

Considering that even the Q8200 is faster then the Q6600 any of those 8xxx or 9xxx quads is faster then what he has. Some mild OCing might be needed to match his 6750, but there isn't much difference between the 6600 and the 6750 so I doubt there would be for two of the Q8x00 cores and the 6750.
October 4, 2010 11:34:31 AM

Appreciate the responses.

Didn't realise there was Bulldozer around the corner. I'll go do some reading.

Ideally I'd be able to just swap out the E6750 for a quad core 2 duo and be done with it until my next major upgrade. But when I looked on eBay the prices were extremely high.

Then I got offered the Athlon.

I will have another look on eBay.
a c 85 à CPUs
October 4, 2010 11:46:04 AM

Again, what motherboard do you have?

I wouldn't buy one off of ebay. A used forum (FS/FT) like the one at hardocp is a better idea. The people tend to be more knowledgeable about their computers so the parts tend to be cared for better.
October 4, 2010 12:06:37 PM

Had a look on eBay everything going for imo silly prices when you can get similar modern tech much cheaper brand new.

I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G motherboard.
a c 85 à CPUs
October 4, 2010 2:05:06 PM

Ok, so you can run any quad out there. The 680i and 650i won't handle the 45nm quads, but your P35 can. Keep your eyes out, getting an old quad from someone will be the easiest thing to do. You'll have the classic changed motherboard driver problem if you switch it.
October 4, 2010 2:21:06 PM

Whats the classic changed motherboard driver problem?

I monitored quad sales on eBay for a month awhile back but then gave up due to the price.

When I got offered the Athlon, this sparked this thread as I could basically get a motherboard with the Athlon for cheaper than I could a Core 2 Quad.

A upgrade to the Gigabyte board I have now would be the final upgrade. With the Athlon and new motherboard I'd at least be able to upgrade the chip again.

It's a tough decision and I still can't find a happy solution.
!