Sign in with
Your question

Building a gaming pc (help)

Last response: in Systems
July 30, 2010 5:46:27 PM

I am looking to build a gaming desktop. I would't say money isn't an issue, but I don't plan on buying everything at once so it's not too much of a concern. I plan on building in a few months (Nov/Dec). I know hardware always changes, but I'm not looking for a bleeding edge system.

I mostly play World of Warcraft and would like to run newer PC titles. On my current set-up I get about 10 fps while I'm in Dalaran, 25 man raiding is possible, but very laggy, same with pvp.

I'm running Starcraft 2 with the lowest settings and I still lag. I would like to be able to run it on Ultra with no problem.

I would like to stick to AMD products. I don't need huge HD as I have an external. I'd like to run 2 video cards and 4 gigs of ram.

Just left me know if I need to post anymore information. Thx everyone

More about : building gaming

a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
July 30, 2010 7:55:10 PM

budget? Monitor resolution?
m
l
August 3, 2010 4:56:47 PM

Budget is probably going to be between 800-1,000. I don't know much about monitors, something decent so games look good.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 3, 2010 5:04:19 PM

He actually meant what is your monitors resolution? or in the event your buying a new monitor as well, aim for a high one,
First off though,
Welcome to Toms, read and fill this in,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261222-13-build-adv...
give as much detail as you can, and I'm sure well get you sorted man
Moto
m
l
August 3, 2010 5:05:29 PM

What are your current specs so we have a basis of improvement?

If you want to start looking, I suggest looking into quad core processors and at least 750W PSU's to help with the praphics (and allow a future upgrade or two as your games improve).
m
l
August 3, 2010 5:50:21 PM

I'm in class so I'm not sure of what exactly the specs are. First of all my desktop is between 6-8 years old. 2.6 P4 single core, 512 DDR ram, HD is kinda small and the video card isn't that great.

I'm looking to run the max amount of RAM Windows 7 64-bit can support, a good video card, or 2, and a good quad core Intel or AMD who ever is producing the best processors. I don't need a big HD so 250 gig one is fine, 20-22 inch monitor with HDMI support.

m
l
August 3, 2010 7:56:06 PM

I'm surprised you can run starcraft 2 at all with those settings!

If you want to get a jump on processor research look into the i7 from Intel. I'm not sure what AMD is offering, but I know they have some relatively cheap 3 core processorson newegg. Other than that toss up a potential build and we'll help!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 3, 2010 9:03:03 PM

Sounds to me like the guy needs a monitor, OS and a tower. I'd assume mouse and keyboard are good.

So I'm going to base this build off the top end of his 1000 budget. Build will be posted in about 30 mins.
m
l
!