RAID0 Driver AFTER Windows 7 Installation using USB

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
Title says it all, hopefully someone can respond quickly.

Here's the thing, I have already installed Windows 7 on a SSD cached disk, but I had 3 extra 80GB drives laying around. I plugged them in, and through the BIOS utility on my ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 motherboard, I put them into a RAID0 configuration. When I boot into Windows, I got under the device manager and the array disk is detected, and I have formatted to NTFS. After Windows Explorer could not find the drive, I consulted the internet, and my motherboard manual. I found that you need a floppy, but the internet said that a USB stick will work fine. I used the utility on my motherboard CD, and now have the driver files on a USB stick, but I don't know how to update them.

Any help is appreciated!

Solution
Does the raid set have a drive letter assigned in disk manager? If you were able to format the drive it should have assigned a drive letter, but I would double check that. You may be missing some chipset drivers, but the floppy/usb thing you are referring to is to install windows to a raid set which you aren't trying to do. If you are missing drivers you should be able to install them through windows as you would any other driver.

tomatthe

Distinguished
Does the raid set have a drive letter assigned in disk manager? If you were able to format the drive it should have assigned a drive letter, but I would double check that. You may be missing some chipset drivers, but the floppy/usb thing you are referring to is to install windows to a raid set which you aren't trying to do. If you are missing drivers you should be able to install them through windows as you would any other driver.

Solution

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
I feel like a complete idiot! When I formatted the partition I though I had assigned the drive letter as E:, now looking it, it seems it never had a drive letter assigned. Such a simple task, yet it has caused me so much grief for the past 2 hours!

Thanks a lot I appreciate it, and because @tomatthe answered first, I'll have to award him with best answer, but thanks a lot to both of you, the speed of reply was great!

Since I don't know everything that you have done exactly I have to ask, in the bios did you set the sata mode to raid?
If your looking to update the raid controller then you can find the controller in device manager and update it there. If your looking to load the raid driver then when booting you can see at the bottom of the screen as your loading that you can select control I to enter the raid bios and you may be able to load the raid driver there. Also with the resource cd you should be able to select the raid driver and load it off the cd.