Start a Computer Comapny. What do you want to see?

ares1214

Splendid

Depends what you want to be. Niche cheap market or niche high end market. Very few beginners cover the whole market well. Take the case market. Rosewill is almost exclusively gaming on a budget. SS/LL/Corsair are all almost exclusively high end gaming enthusiast. So its a good idea to decide which one first.

ares1214

Splendid

Its very hard to make a revolutionary product without a strong base. Sometime better to improve a current product instead. Ive always considered carbon fiber cases, a few very technical things, new designs for cases, OLED tablets that can roll up...there are tons of things that nobody has really dealt with much, but its likely better to pick a market with a strong base first.

Sorry to burst your bubble m8, but trying to create custom cases is time consuming an a PITA depending on what you are trying to do. Currently, I have a Carbon Fiber case that's on hold because of time issues. If you head over to bit tech's modding section, you can see that these people spend weeks and even years doing these mods and most of these "pro" modders have access to CNCs, water jets,etc which make their life easier but it still take a lot of time, money and effort to build a custom case.

First of all.... Computer Company is a very wide term. It may mean PSU, GPU, Cabinet or any small thing that a computer contains. Try to narrow it down to something so that we can give you any suggestions.

It's not so much as to what I would like to see, it's more of what can and can't be done.

If you really want to get in to the PC business, build PCs for your relatives,friends,etc and charge a build fee + cost of build.

I kind of thought you meant a retailer. In that regards it would be nice to see an enthusiast retailer that stocks or can get products at a competitive rate, however, I think the real money would be in selling prebuilts for only a small premium as a construction service, so that people could compare to Alienware and HP or Dell and go "Gee, this computer was $500 less for the same thing!"

Also, a wide selection of cases for the prebuilts. I'm sure a lot of people don't like their stupid prebuilt case but there's not much they can do about it (there is, but clearly they aren't the kind of people who would try moving all their components into a new case).

Also, have a tech department. And you could even charge a small fee for prebuilt overclocks, plus a premium warranty if they get that done. I think that would be neat. People are willing to pay for Vapor X and SuperOC cards already, but you could throw in cheaper reference models and OC yourself and reap the rewards... just so long as your "OC Guy" is good and doesn't start frying components haha.

You could even charge a small fee for prebuilt overclocks, plus a premium warranty if they get that done. I think that would be neat. People are willing to pay for Vapor X and SuperOC cards already, but you could throw in cheaper reference models and OC yourself and reap the rewards... just so long as your "OC Guy" is good and doesn't start frying components haha.
Damn it! You stole my business plan :p. That's exactly what I do currently. I do pretty much anything except provide software support. I warrant all my builds for at least a year. So far, I have not had a single PC I built for a customer die yet. Some of these systems are pushing almost 4 years now. I DO NOT provide software support at ALL.

That's awesome! I think if I could, I would try to start a business like that... although I'm not really a business guy. I'm a technologist. But yeah, that would be a fun late-life career move :D

Or, you know, get in on it with someone who knows the business stuff.

I Mod and build pc's for mates at work at reasonable fee's,
I also provide a scheduled pc cleaning business in my spare time, other than pc builders, clockheads or people with O.C.D., how many people clean inside their pc?
not many I tell you :p and like shadow, I only offer 'system off' services
now bear in mind I built my very first pc back in january this year, I now feel comfortable enough with what I'm doing to go to strangers and charge money for it, its not lifechanging money but its a dripfeed additional income and I enjoy what I do.
have your idea,whatever it may end up being, and damn well go for it Dog (and others :p),
lifes too short
Moto

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
PC building for side income, huh? That's exactly what I'm doing here in Indonesia. Starting with friends and relatives. Then friends of friends and relatives. Then their friends, and so on. Only for hobby though, not so focused.

The problem here is, average people are so ignorant about computers, they're so easily fooled. I even met a computer shop's owner being blind about technical specification. He said that Atom PC can't play SD videos due to it's "very weak" muscle power, and describe an AMD IGP as "Asus' graphic". Come on, how indoctrinated can someone get? My Pine Trail can play SD videos with no sweat, and my IGP is from Biostar. That is so lame.

I can't stand ignorance, moreover ignorant resellers with big shot attitude fooling even more ignorant consumers. That's why I come to a "Clean PC Building" concept, where I only set the service/building charge with a transparent calculation and explanation. I don't take a dime off the components price. I also neutrally explain the specification of each component, without any price markup or brand fanaticism whatsoever. In the end, I only get the satisfaction of making people satisfied with their PC built, and a few cash of course :lol:

As for the initial question, I don't know about America. But here, the market is pretty price oriented, yet more brand fanatic (in a false way). For example, they only know and care about the memory size of a GPU, without details like clock, DDR2,3 or 5, ROPs, etc. Embarrassing, I know.

From my point of view as a consumer, if you're starting a retailer company, take AMD's concept, who's price competitive. You're in no place for Intel's stuck up marketing anyway. :p But if you're going to build a new OEM, be innovative and also price competitive (that's the magic word: price). I wouldn't think that you're planning on building a large scale PC components manufacturing like Intel, nVidia or AMD. Besides, you'll need a professional business advisor to do that. :D

What I really like to see is a AMD's "more powerful" version of the AIO Atom board, that will really kill the Atom in the mainstream market. I bet my whole PC system on it! :D

I agree with moto, life's too short, might as well go for whatever your guts tell you to. With well thought preparation, of course... :p

Update. I have not heard form anyone lately. If you could post back any other things you have on mind, or have buddies for the local pub who are wanting someone to listen to the consumer, I am all ears.