Sign in with
Your question

How do I put data on new HDD

Last response: in Storage
October 16, 2012 9:10:28 PM

Hi guys, I built my first computer today and installed windows 7 on to my SSD and all of the drivers and programs too. I then plugged in my 1.0TB empty HDD. I downloaded steam to my SSD so would my games install on to there as I would rather them be on the HDD. Please help

More about : put data hdd

a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
October 16, 2012 9:25:37 PM

You basically have two options with regards to Steam.

Option #1: Reinstall Steam onto the HDD instead of SSD

Option #2: There is a beta version of the Steam client (it might have been pushed out as stable by now) that allows you to choose where games are installed so you can move them off the SSD and onto the HDD

Someone who's used the beta version of the client will maybe be able to confirm whether or not there's a default setting for the client that would let you say you want games downloaded to the HDD by default. If not, then you may just want to go with Option #1 because otherwise it's a waste of write cycles on the SSD if you're just going to move the game files later.
October 16, 2012 10:57:26 PM

cl-scott said:
You basically have two options with regards to Steam.

Option #1: Reinstall Steam onto the HDD instead of SSD

Option #2: There is a beta version of the Steam client (it might have been pushed out as stable by now) that allows you to choose where games are installed so you can move them off the SSD and onto the HDD

Someone who's used the beta version of the client will maybe be able to confirm whether or not there's a default setting for the client that would let you say you want games downloaded to the HDD by default. If not, then you may just want to go with Option #1 because otherwise it's a waste of write cycles on the SSD if you're just going to move the game files later.

Thanks very much. It's still in beta but you can choose where to store it upon clicking install. I plan to put my favourite games on my ssd but do you know if I should install the steam program files on the ssd or HDD? Thanks.
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
October 16, 2012 11:46:31 PM

razmundo said:
Thanks very much. It's still in beta but you can choose where to store it upon clicking install. I plan to put my favourite games on my ssd but do you know if I should install the steam program files on the ssd or HDD? Thanks.

Where the Steam client is installed makes little difference if you can choose where to install downloaded games. It's rather small in overall size, so it could go on the SSD, but it's also little more than a thin wrapper around a web browser rendering engine and a basic program launcher, so there'd probably be no real performance benefit to be had from installing on the SSD.
!