Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Preferred Wireless Network Problems

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 8:26:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hi all,

I am using XP SP2 and I have a Linksys access point running wpa-psk and not
broadcasting the SSIS; however, my neighbor has his network in the default
(unsecured) Linksys configuration and my laptop keeps connecting to his
network when I am upstairs, and does not connect to his network when I am
downstairs (closer to my AP).

I dual boot with 2003 SP1 server, and it connects properly to my AP every
time, and has never accidentally connected to my neighbor's network, unlike
XP.
Is there a way I can force XP to connect only to my network and refuse to
connect to the unsecured network? I have my network under the preferred
networks, and I have my firewall on both OS's.

Thanks for any advice.
--
MCSE: Security, CCNA, A+, Network +, Security+
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:05:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

"wosully" <wosully@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is there a way I can force XP to connect only to my network and refuse to
>connect to the unsecured network? I have my network under the preferred
>networks, and I have my firewall on both OS's.

Chck if your neighbour's network is listed in the Properties of the
WLAN connection > Wireless Networks. If so, open its Properties and
disable the connection here.

--
(tm)
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 9:48:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Thank you for the response: The neighbirs network has been in my wireless
properties, and I have unchecked the box to connect when this network is in
range.

Thank you for the suggestion, and so far so good.

Take care,
--
MCSE: Security, CCNA, A+, Network +, Security+


"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> "wosully" <wosully@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Is there a way I can force XP to connect only to my network and refuse to
> >connect to the unsecured network? I have my network under the preferred
> >networks, and I have my firewall on both OS's.
>
> Chck if your neighbour's network is listed in the Properties of the
> WLAN connection > Wireless Networks. If so, open its Properties and
> disable the connection here.
>
> --
> (tm)
>
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 1:17:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

"wosully" <wosully@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you for the suggestion, and so far so good.

You are welcome.

--
(tm)
!