Bios / Windows can't detect 3TB Seagate Barracuda

Spyryt

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Hey all,

After doing some research online and beating my head against a wall I'm finally out of ideas. I've bought a 3TB Seagate Barracuda today and I can't for the life of me get it to appear in the BIOS or Disk Management. I'm using a 6GB/s Sata port on my motherboard and a 6GB/s Sata cable. I know both the cable and the port on the motherboard work as they have both been used in the past for other hard drives.

I've just tried updating the BIOS to the latest version and that doesn't seem to have helped.

My motherboard is an Asus P8Z68-v (which supports hard drives larger than 2.2TB according to the product information).

Has anyone got any ideas what could be going wrong please?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If it doesn't appear in the BIOS, then I suspect a problem with either the SATA power or data connectors/cables or the HDD is defective.

Have you swapped cables and power connectors?

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Have you tried swapping out the sata cable with one that is actually working?
You can also try adding the jumper to drop the sata connection from sata3 to sata2 (if it permits).

It sounds silly but it happened to me the other day. I installed a couple of new drives into my system and one of them kept intermittently disconnecting and was not detected during post until I swapped out the cable.

EDIT: LOL! Seems like COLGeek responded as I clicked on the *SUBMIT* button.

Spyryt

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I can hear it spinning up when the computer starts and it makes an electronic beeping sound in a regular pattern (similar tone to that of a floppy drive) for 10 seconds or so and then stops.

I know it's definitely not the cables though as I swapped the cables with a hard drive that was working and the working hard drive still works and the new hard drive isn't working on the cables the other hard drive was working on.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I suspect a defective HDD. BTW, what mode is your SATA port (one you are connecting to) set at (IDE, AHCI, or RAID)?

Spyryt

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
It's set to AHCI. I've also tried swapping it over to IDE though and it didn't detect it then either.

Spyryt

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I have tried that and no joy. I've already arranged the RMA after also trying it in an external caddy.

Thanks very much for your help.

IReadTwilight

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013

I had that EXACT same problem. I will be shipping it back tomorrow. Did they send you a new one and it worked? I am just trying to figure out if that actually meant it was broken. Thanks!

sedona

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

I have exactly the same problem as both of you. I bought a Seagate 1TB Barracuda to upgrade my old XP machine, and it caused me intermittent problems detecting the drive. I gave up trying and went to get a Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue. I didn't RMA the Seagate drive because I was going to keep it for a new PC I'm planning. I thought it could be the old motherboard or old Windows XP that somehow won't detect the Seagate drive.

Right now I'm assembling a new PC with new motherboard and Windows 7. Same thing happened. My Windows 7 installation can't proceed further and I already waited for over 5 hours. I press the hard reset button, went into BIOS and found out the harddisk has disappeared from SATA detection. It somehow dropped off in the middle of Windows 7 installation. I'm really going to RMA it now. No point trying again and again because in future my C: drive could just suddenly dropped off from SATA.